Could i get some help with starting a secondary question on differing values?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sallyhasanidea

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Duke has the following question:

Describe an experience when you were confronted with an individual or group whose values differ from yours? How did you resolve the conflict/ challenge? Describe at least one outcome that the experience created.

I'm not even sure where to start this. Anybody have any tips on alternative ways to think about this question?

Members don't see this ad.

Step 1: Think of all the conflicts you've had with people
Step 2: Think of how they were resolved
Step 3: Pick 1 to write about
Step 4: Profit

Step 1: Think of all the conflicts you've had with people
Step 2: Think of how they were resolved
Step 3: Pick 1 to write about
Step 4: Profit

Oh cool, thanks! I actually figured out a conflict. Problem resolved :D

Edit: this was not meant to be sarcastic you actually helped me figure out a conflict, thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That's the problem, I can't really think of any conflicts I've had with people, any tips on figuring out when I've had conflicts with people?
Ever had a teacher you didn't like/didn't like you? Fight with a friend/SO? Roommate issue? Something with your parents?

I would go a bit deeper with the conflict being something caused by differing underlying values than a simple conflict
I could be overthinking it, but I don't think a fight with your spouse counts as a conflict with an individual with different values.
I was just throwing ideas out there to try to jog the memory of an OP who was having difficulty thinking of any conflict he/she had ever had. Hard to think of a meaningful conflict when you can't think of any conflict.

Have you ever had a conversation with someone who does not agree with your views on US public policies (gay rights, reproductive rights, school choice, charter schools, immigration, US tax code, gun laws, tobacco and soft drink taxes, etc)? Try it sometime. It's fun.

Have you ever had a conversation with someone who does not agree with your views on US public policies (gay rights, reproductive rights, school choice, charter schools, immigration, US tax code, gun laws, tobacco and soft drink taxes, etc)? Try it sometime. It's fun.
I agree. Apparently, that's not the case for a lot of people on this forum, though. Or even in real life.

Some people will refuse to talk to you if you even mention you're a Trump supporter.

:troll:

I agree. Apparently, that's not the case for a lot of people on this forum, though. Or even in real life.

Some people will refuse to talk to you if you even mention you're a Trump supporter.