could my 1 credit independent study be my research experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wsc2879

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have taken one credit independent study to participate in some research lab. Could I use it as my research credential?

Also I will work on a bioengineering lab next semsester to finish my honor thesise. could I use that as my research experience too?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have taken one credit independent study to participate in some research lab. Could I use it as my research credential?

Also I will work on a bioengineering lab next semsester to finish my honor thesise. could I use that as my research experience too?
Any research activity, whether for pay, class credit, or volunteer can and should be listed under "Research."

Does it count as research? Of course. However, from the way you described it, it probably isn't very strong research. Try not to think of your med school application as a giant check-list. Schools don't like it when all of your activities are short term or shallow. It doesn't have to be research, but make sure that you have at least a couple long term (at least a year or two) activities about which you can talk convincingly.

When rating applications, I was trained to toss applications like this one in the bucket: Once a week hospital volunteering for four months, soup kitchen volunteering weekly for three months, an overseas volunteer trip (2 weeks), treasurer of a pre-med club, a summer research internship (8 weeks), shadowing three doctors for 10 hours each, and participated in various fundraising activities for medical causes. They call them check-list applications, and my school at least really hates them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does it count as research? Of course. However, from the way you described it, it probably isn't very strong research. Try not to think of your med school application as a giant check-list. Schools don't like it when all of your activities are short term or shallow. It doesn't have to be research, but make sure that you have at least a couple long term (at least a year or two) activities about which you can talk convincingly.

When rating applications, I was trained to toss applications like this one in the bucket: Once a week hospital volunteering for four months, soup kitchen volunteering weekly for three months, an overseas volunteer trip (2 weeks), treasurer of a pre-med club, a summer research internship (8 weeks), shadowing three doctors for 10 hours each, and participated in various fundraising activities for medical causes. They call them check-list applications, and my school at least really hates them.

So you throw someone away who has tried to cover all of their bases under the presumption that it is a check-list?

I bet if you saw an application with more like a year of volunteering, weekly random volunteering for 6 months, summer research plus a semester or two of other research, 50 hours of shadowing, overseas volunteer trip, and one or two leadership activities to go along with a good GPA/MCAT you would give it more of a second look. It is the same exact things listed about just with more hours/a little longer involvement. Does having a longer involvement in different activities move it to a person worth getting a second look from the check-list applicant?

So you throw someone away who has tried to cover all of their bases under the presumption that it is a check-list?

I bet if you saw an application with more like a year of volunteering, weekly random volunteering for 6 months, summer research plus a semester or two of other research, 50 hours of shadowing, overseas volunteer trip, and one or two leadership activities to go along with a good GPA/MCAT you would give it more of a second look. It is the same exact things listed about just with more hours/a little longer involvement. Does having a longer involvement in different activities move it to a person worth getting a second look from the check-list applicant?

I didn't say that at all. Covering all your bases is great. The thing is that the coverage has to be meaningful! You extended all the things I listed to meaningful level. Checklisting is an eight week summer research experience. Period. A meaningful experience is that and a couple more semesters, like you said. So yes, having longer involvement does move a person out of checklist territory. A true checklist applicant has nearly ALL their activities being short term. It's okay to try one or two things and not continue them forever. Just not everything!

I didn't say that at all. Covering all your bases is great. The thing is that the coverage has to be meaningful! You extended all the things I listed to meaningful level. Checklisting is an eight week summer research experience. Period. A meaningful experience is that and a couple more semesters, like you said. So yes, having longer involvement does move a person out of checklist territory. A true checklist applicant has nearly ALL their activities being short term. It's okay to try one or two things and not continue them forever. Just not everything!

Good info. Thanks a lot.