Could my personality type be used against me (MBTI)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cryhavoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I test as an INTP. I don't think many of the descriptions make us out to be kind-hearted team-players. I, from personal experience, value team work when necessary and am always compassionate about helping the ill. I think I'm a very emotionally mature INTP but I wasn't as a teenager. But the description does not convey that at all. I don't want to be told that because I'm an introvert, I have to work in a lab or a basement somewhere.

I think INTPs are often depicted as nerds with poor social skills. But I've been volunteering my whole life and think I have pretty good social skills.

If a school/residency program uses MBTI, could certain personality types be used against you?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't think too much about it. You're definitely not the only INTP in your class.

I think there is going to be a lot of sarcastic responses so be prepared.

My friends who enter residency have told me about it, however, it is like an after thought to them because these pre-tests really don't mean anything. It is more of an awareness of your personality (I have also taken it before).

On a side note, introverted doesn't mean you are quiet. What it really means you internalize things more so. You basically think before you say things and are cautious on how others perceive you. I myself an an introvert, but when I talk I seem extroverted. However, I have the tendency to still be careful of my words and I think talking with people is work (unlike extroverts) so I value my "me time" a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I test as an INTP. I don't think many of the descriptions make us out to be kind-hearted team-players. I, from personal experience, value team work when necessary and am always compassionate about helping the ill. I think I'm a very emotionally mature INTP but I wasn't as a teenager. But the description does not convey that at all. I don't want to be told that because I'm an introvert, I have to work in a lab or a basement somewhere.

I think INTPs are often depicted as nerds with poor social skills. But I've been volunteering my whole life and think I have pretty good social skills.

If a school/residency program uses MBTI, could certain personality types be used against you?

I had a job where they made us do these. Like IS alluded to, they are pretty exclusively FYI. I turned out to be an ENTJ, so they gave me little reading tidbits like "So you're an extrovert! Well the guy you're talking to on the phone might be an introvert, and might prefer to get right to business instead of participating in lots of chit-chat!" Basically some common sense that they jam MBTI stuff into. If you actually come across a program director that does not take you in their program because of an MBTI result, rejoice that they won't ever be in charge of you.

Reactions: 1 user
Pelley actually addresses each of the 16 MBTI types and shows correlations between intuitive vs sensing types in test taking and perceiving vs. judging in test taking. Each type can develop preferences for the opposite types, according to Pelley, so that stronger study skills can be gained. My med school actually offers this course to improve out standardized test taking abilities. Here is one of his videos on concept mapping. You may also be interested in the Neurobiology one.

MBTI is a clever way of boiling down four personality modalities that seem to have two variations each. However, there isn't any research or science behind it. It is sort of a result from the old days of psychology where purely thinking and conceiving of psychological ideas rationally was the main approach. Therefore, its scope of meaning can only be taken so far. It is by no means scientific to be using an MBTI test as a diagnostic tool. I wish there was some modern research into it because it really is a great way to understand someone's basic personality. However, the tests themselves don't fully represent the ideas of the personalities and there is too much error involved in taking them. You are better of typing yourself based on understanding the MBTI theory.

I personally love MBTI despite these things. The worst thing people do is become attached to a particular personality type. The best thing you will get from the test is an understanding of your weaknesses. Then you can improve on those markedly.

Reactions: 1 users