Could my story hurt my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyeball01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Nice job! I am pretty sure you'll have a very good shot of getting into an ophthalmology program. Apply broadly just in case, of course.

Hi, i just wanted to get some opinions on whether my story will hinder me from getting interviews

I am currently a 3rd year doing my rotations and I am very interested in ophtha. My first two years of medical school were done at a Carib. med school. However, I worked my bottom off, was number 1 in my class at that school, I scored a 259 on Step 1, and as a result I was able to transfer into an LCME accredited US medical school at the start of my 3rd year. So I am officially a full time student and will receive my M.D. from a US medical school. When I apply for ophtha, since I transferred I will have to submit two transcripts, one from my current school for my 3rd and 4th years and one from my old school for my first two years. Will just having a transcript from the Carib medical school to show my grades (which were good) during my first two years hurt my chances at getting interviews even though I will be considered a US grad now? I will be getting all my letters from rotations at my current school(and away's) and my dean's letter from my current school as well, Step scores coming from NBME (instead of ECFMG), but I am still worried that even though I have nothing to do with my old school now, will the fact that they will see the Carib name on one of the transcripts hinder my chances at interviews?

Quick stats:
Transferred to a US med school at the start of 3rd year
Step 1: 259
Research: 1st author publication (non-ophtha)
Attempting to set up some ophtha research
Currently doing core rotations

Your responses are greatly appreciated.

i think thats a very impressive story actually. id apply with confidence.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think thats a very impressive story actually. id apply with confidence.

i agree with the above. that's really impressive! i'd apply broadly of course and get the best letters possible but i think you'd have a good shot

I think at worst you'll be at a slight disadvantage.

Your story is great. Let the below give you confidence that you have a good chance to become an ophthalmologist like every other one in the country.

One of my close friends bombed Step 1 and Step 2. He bombed his med school grades and published nothing.

Then applied to every Radiology residency in the country (another competitive specialty). Interviewed at a few and got in.

Now he's a radiologist like any other in the country.

Moral to the story - There's a spot out there for almost everyone. Surely there's a spot out there for you.

Best of Luck,

Stark

like everyone said apply broadly

your story is not one that will help you...sure it will hurt you and will come up in your interviews...just to play devil's advocate here...it sounds like you applied and didn't get into any medical schools in america (dont bother with the whole i wanted the international experience bs). instead of working hard, taking a year or more and trying to get into an american school like many other american students do, you gave up too fast and decided to go to the Caribbean...
props to you for doing so well and being able to transfer into an american medical school and for continuing to do so well...that will be great...but you have to realize that programs get about 400-500 applications and they interview maybe 10% of those applicants. getting an interview though is half the battle. Once you get that interview that your foot is in the door.

I think you have a good chance of matching...but probably not at a top tier program...but like the other posters said...you will still come out to be an ophthalmologist and that is the important thing

the interviewers want the best applicant...and they read through your application and will ask about any weakness you may have in that application...but with that in mind, i have met a couple of IMGs who matched into ophtho...and they didnt have the credentials and come into an american school like you did...so props to you for that...and that should tell you that if img's can match...then you have a better chance...look at the sf match stats

like everyone said apply broadly

your story is not one that will help you...sure it will hurt you and will come up in your interviews...just to play devil's advocate here...it sounds like you applied and didn't get into any medical schools in america (dont bother with the whole i wanted the international experience bs). instead of working hard, taking a year or more and trying to get into an american school like many other american students do, you gave up too fast and decided to go to the Caribbean...

I disagree with you. I am at a "Top Program" and feel that it is VERY likely a story like this could certainly get him the interview...if he does well at the interview and works on publishing, I think he could have a realistic shot too...sure it's not ideal, but in reality it shows dedication and drive...so (medical student) USAMS, why dont you keep your mouth shut til you're on this side of the application process

I disagree with you. I am at a "Top Program" and feel that it is VERY likely a story like this could certainly get him the interview...if he does well at the interview and works on publishing, I think he could have a realistic shot too...sure it's not ideal, but in reality it shows dedication and drive...so (medical student) USAMS, why dont you keep your mouth shut til you're on this side of the application process

Thank you for pointing out that I am a medical student...and maybe you were not as fortunate as I was to have matched while in medical school, making me on the other side of the application process, already matched, and that too at my #1 choice, a top tier program.

I think the kid has a good shot like I said...and being able to transfer into a medical school in the US is impressive...but doesn't entirely make up for the fact that he went to the Caribbean. There is a reason why the match rate for IMGs is so low...

Thank you for pointing out that I am a medical student...and maybe you were not as fortunate as I was to have matched while in medical school, making me on the other side of the application process, already matched, and that too at my #1 choice, a top tier program.

I think what DKofLV meant by "on the other side of application process" was being on the selection committee as a resident (as opposed to having matched).

Anyway, I was under the impression that the Caribbean programs from which students transfer to US med school were all 2-year programs. Meaning that only the most qualified transfer to the US while the others either transfer elsewhere or none at all. Therefore, it would be quite an accomplishment to transfer to a US school, especially if it's a reputable school.

Given your step 1 score, i think like your chances of matching. However, you need to make sure that you do well during your 3rd year. This will show that you can perform well even at a US med school. Also, try to get a publication or two.

Good luck.

I think the kid has a good shot like I said...and being able to transfer into a medical school in the US is impressive...but doesn't entirely make up for the fact that he went to the Caribbean. There is a reason why the match rate for IMGs is so low...

I am just simply impressed by how you seem to know nothing about what I'm saying and still are arguing. Yes, it's not great that he went to a caribbean school...but he made up for it. Now if he does poorly in 3rd year, then he has no chance at a top program. If he continues his trend, he will do VERY well

What makes you assume I didnt match as a US senior? I matched as a senior and got PLENTY of great interviews ("top programs") and landed at my ideal one.

Stop talking until you at least start residency and see what happens on OUR side of the application (the reviewers) and not the applicant side.