Could really use some help right about now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Machine33

OMS-4
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, first time poster here with quite the dilemma.
First time I took the MCAT, I got a 20. I was pretty bummed but I never took any of my practice tests in test like conditions so I attributed my results to that. My average practice test score was around a 26. So second time, I tried to learn the material to the best of my ability (since first time I just made sure I had a general understanding of how everything works) and take tests in proper conditions. I was getting 27's and 28's. After the 6/16/11 test I felt nervous but confident that I did better. I wasn't all that nervous during, but I did have a panic attack when I realized I was running really behind on time in the PS section but I overcame it and finished every question somehow. That was the only thing that I was really worried about. I didn't worry again until I realized I was guessing a lot on the BS section but from all the threads on here, that seemed pretty normal. So then my results come back and I went down a point. I was in complete shock, and the world about ended for me. I don't know what to do now. I feel like I am alright on the content but I can't seem to do well on test day. I know I have to retake but I couldn't imagine having to take it a 4th time. I took the Princeton Review, I had a 3.76 through college, and feel comfortable with the content (or so I think since apparently MCAT disagrees). Thanks guys, and I appreciate any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Wait fourth time? Wouldn't another retake be a third time?

Another question, did you retake practice FLs for your 6/16 retake? That would be one of the main reasons why you scored so far below your average.

If that is the case, then flat out, you don't know the content well. A score in the low 20s isn't solely due to being a poor test taker. The primary problem at that point is weak content knowledge.

For your retake, you should use NEW practice material and NEW FLs.

Here's some tips on retaking: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=754682

I meant that I know I have to retake the third time but a 4th time (from what I hear) would be crazy. And that's how I feel as well that I need to review content but when I go over things or have friends quiz me, they automatically assume I will score in the 30's and say "this is stupid" and walk away. Anyone ever hear of someone drastically improving from such a low score?

Friends quiz you? You don't need that...

What textbooks did you study from? Maybe try the Berkeley Review + EK combination, that seems to work for a lot of people.

BR has a lot of good passages, and do EK 101 for verbal. If you actually do all this work, especially using the SN2ed schedule, I genuinely don't see you scoring less than 27 (and that's if you had a bad test day).

Members don't see this ad :)
Friends quiz you? You don't need that...

What textbooks did you study from? Maybe try the Berkeley Review + EK combination, that seems to work for a lot of people.

BR has a lot of good passages, and do EK 101 for verbal. If you actually do all this work, especially using the SN2ed schedule, I genuinely don't see you scoring less than 27 (and that's if you had a bad test day).

I used the Princeton Review along with EK. I also used audio osmosis while at work. Do you think its possible to follow his schedule while working full time? I want to apply for next year but that means I'd have to retake in Sep and 2 months isn't enough time to coincide with his plan. So lost... :(

"Do you think its possible to follow his schedule while working full time? "

No, sorry, I don't think it's possible. Writing the MCAT is a significant undertaking as you know, and SN2ed's method is quite intense if you have other activities throughout the day.

So you say wait until next year to retake vs retaking in a couple months? And what if I already took all the AAMC FL's?