1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Could really use some help right about now

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by Machine33, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Machine33

Machine33 OMS-4
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey everyone, first time poster here with quite the dilemma.
    First time I took the MCAT, I got a 20. I was pretty bummed but I never took any of my practice tests in test like conditions so I attributed my results to that. My average practice test score was around a 26. So second time, I tried to learn the material to the best of my ability (since first time I just made sure I had a general understanding of how everything works) and take tests in proper conditions. I was getting 27's and 28's. After the 6/16/11 test I felt nervous but confident that I did better. I wasn't all that nervous during, but I did have a panic attack when I realized I was running really behind on time in the PS section but I overcame it and finished every question somehow. That was the only thing that I was really worried about. I didn't worry again until I realized I was guessing a lot on the BS section but from all the threads on here, that seemed pretty normal. So then my results come back and I went down a point. I was in complete shock, and the world about ended for me. I don't know what to do now. I feel like I am alright on the content but I can't seem to do well on test day. I know I have to retake but I couldn't imagine having to take it a 4th time. I took the Princeton Review, I had a 3.76 through college, and feel comfortable with the content (or so I think since apparently MCAT disagrees). Thanks guys, and I appreciate any advice.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Wait fourth time? Wouldn't another retake be a third time?

Another question, did you retake practice FLs for your 6/16 retake? That would be one of the main reasons why you scored so far below your average.

If that is the case, then flat out, you don't know the content well. A score in the low 20s isn't solely due to being a poor test taker. The primary problem at that point is weak content knowledge.

For your retake, you should use NEW practice material and NEW FLs.

Here's some tips on retaking: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=754682

4. Machine33

Machine33 OMS-4
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I meant that I know I have to retake the third time but a 4th time (from what I hear) would be crazy. And that's how I feel as well that I need to review content but when I go over things or have friends quiz me, they automatically assume I will score in the 30's and say "this is stupid" and walk away. Anyone ever hear of someone drastically improving from such a low score?

5. PhaseShift11

Friends quiz you? You don't need that...

What textbooks did you study from? Maybe try the Berkeley Review + EK combination, that seems to work for a lot of people.

BR has a lot of good passages, and do EK 101 for verbal. If you actually do all this work, especially using the SN2ed schedule, I genuinely don't see you scoring less than 27 (and that's if you had a bad test day).

6. Machine33

Machine33 OMS-4
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student

I used the Princeton Review along with EK. I also used audio osmosis while at work. Do you think its possible to follow his schedule while working full time? I want to apply for next year but that means I'd have to retake in Sep and 2 months isn't enough time to coincide with his plan. So lost... :(

7. PhaseShift11

"Do you think its possible to follow his schedule while working full time? "

No, sorry, I don't think it's possible. Writing the MCAT is a significant undertaking as you know, and SN2ed's method is quite intense if you have other activities throughout the day.

8. Machine33

Machine33 OMS-4
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    So you say wait until next year to retake vs retaking in a couple months? And what if I already took all the AAMC FL's?