1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Could second look hurt my chances?

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by YOOOUK09, Dec 15, 2008.

1. YOOOUK09

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was wondering if it was possible for a second look to hurt one's chances.

I want to go back and re-evaluate what I think is my first choice program. However, I think I've already made a good impression and wouldn't want to screw that up. There's a small chance that I'd do something stupid (not that I'd plan on it, but those things happen) - could I screw up my chances? That is, will programs be evaluating me when I go back for a second look?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DonStracci

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    :p
    I'm laughing because this self-doubt has crossed my mind also. But I really don't think you should let that hold you back from 2cd look if you really feel you need it to make your decision. That small chance of doing something stupid is ALWAYS there, so don't let it hinder your choices in life.

4. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Sure you can screw it up -- spill coffee on the program director, accidentally knock over something valuable, inadvertently ogle someone's spouse/child, have a fender bender with the specialty chairman in the parking lot, say something remarkably stupid, etc. But odds are that if you didn't do that the first look, you'll be okay at the second.