Could someone answer some questions about presenting research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tussy

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

The summer after my first year of med school I had the opportunity to do some research for the first time in my life. My supervisor and I wrote a paper which is still in preparation, although my supervisor is quite sure that it will be published in a good journal with me as first author. Yesterday, I just heard from my supervisor and he told me that he submitted an abstract of my research to a meeting and that I may get to go to the meeting.

My question is this: what exactly does this mean? I don't want to look stupid if front of him asking all these questions, so I hope someone out there has some experience and can help me out. If I go to the meeting, does that mean I have to present my research? Do I have to pay for the trip myself or does the hospital pay my way? What exactly goes on at these scientific meetings?

Thanks for helping me out. I know these questions sound basic, like I said, I'm new to the whole research thing, and really don't want to be too ignorant when I go talk to my supervisor.

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations! To present one's research (as a student) is an honor.
As to the "meeting", simply ask him, "which one"? Medical (specific fields
of medicine) and scientific (specific fields of research) conferences allow
physicians and scientists the opportunity to publicize their work. I would
ask your supervisor which of you will actually be presenting. If he says
"you", and you have reservations about doing this, simply tell him that since
you've never presented you'd prefer that he do it and allow you to just observe.
Also, regarding the cost of the trip, ask your supervisor if the hospital will
be providing a "stipend". Many do but some don't, so this kind of question
would be expected. Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by Deb (edited 02-13-99).]

Hey there
I've been into cancer research for the past two years and have published twice.
Which meeting are you going to? Are you gone a have a poster? or is your abstract just gone a be into the "conference's" journal.
The reason why I'm asking this is bc/ if you have a poster, which a lot of researchers do (it's a good way to meet a lot of people and talk aboput your research) you are going to have to stay next to it and answear questions that others might have. If your abstract is just published in the "conference's" journal then you most likely won't have to answear anything. Also, you might get asked to be a "speeker" but if that is the case, they would let you know.
Just remember this: those conferences / meetings serve mostly one purpose: For the researchers to take a break/vacation. It is most of the time " a time to relax".
Hope this helped-
--Nicolas--
WesternU '03

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations, presenting research at a meeting is the first step to becoming a true scientist. I have presented many times over the last 14 years, it's easy fun, and a great time to network!!! Most likely you will give a poster presentation which means you need to construct an introduction, material and methods, results, and discussion outlines along with any pertinent photos or graphs. Some conferences like FASEB or ATS also allow the presenter to give a short 5 -10 min speech about their project pointing out future directions and advances made. Some advice, check out the last program from the meeting which includes all the published abstracts--this should give you an idea of the areas of concentration, what type of talks you could attend (most meetings last 2-5 days), and how many people are presenting at the meetings (your advisor or the library may have this). By all means, present! Do not let your fear of "never having presented" interfere with this honor. Good luck!
smile.gif
Diane

[This message has been edited by Diane E (edited 02-16-99).]

A great source for you to read about writing a research paper/poster is this month's New Physician magazine, a publication by the Am. Medical Student Association. A copy can be found at most university/college libraries.
Good luck Tussy.
Diane