Could Someone Recommend a Book for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spillsomepaint

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good primers to psychoanalytic theory? It's not the school of thought I subscribe to the most, and I would really love a great thorough introduction in terms that are not to academic or otherwise inaccessible.

Further, if someone could also recommend an introduction to Jungian Theory, I would appreciate that as well. I know so very little about Jung, and his place in psychology so if anyone could help me out or offer some information, I will as always be appreciative.

Members don't see this ad.

Here are four I might try, the first two are more practical and the second two are more theoretical:

Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy: A Practitioners Guide, By McWilliams

Long Term Psychodynamic Psychotherapy, by Gabbard

Freud and Beyond: A History of Modern Psychoanalytic Thought, by Mitchell and Black

Object Relations in Psychoanalysis, by Mitchell and Greenberg

On Jung & Jungian analysis:
I would recommend three books, two of which are by Jung himself:

1. Memories, Dreams, Reflections, by Jung - his memoirs, easy and interesting to read (in my opinion) and will give you perspective into development of his theory
2. Modern Man in search of a soul, by Jung - the earliest of his works, I believe, and a bit clallenging to go through his language in this book, but it is usually always cited when people write about Jung.

3. Jungian Analysis, edited by Murray Stein - collections of chapters written by the prominent U.S. Jungian analysts; this is the best one written about Jungian analysis that I've found so far.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard that there are several schools of psychoanalysis and that once you start training under one school the other schools will not touch you... So... It is important to get the school you are interested in 'right'.

I think that psychoanalysis is in a similarly unfortunate position to psychiatry more generally... There is so much concern about its scientific status that people 'close ranks' and throw scientific considerations out the window...

That being said, there are exceptions. I guess I wonder what it is about Jungian theory that rings true *for you*. Because... That is basically where things are at...

That being said, I'll admit that I have much more sympathy for psychoanalytic / humanistic interventions than the evidence medicine based cognitive behavioral therapy type interventions... Not a matter of interventions... But there we go...

There isn't anything per say about Jungian theory that rings 'true' for me, I just want to know more about it.

http://www.nyaap.org/index.php/id/4

I'd recommend doing a google scholar search on Jungian Analysis and seeing what you you come up with. There is bound to be a dedicated journal or something like that. Alternatively, there are analytic training institutes for Jungian Analysis and if you hunt around they will probably provide some kind of reference list and / or list of readings for people who are enrolled in their courses...

Google is your friend.

- Sorry, I just realized that you wanted non-technical. I have one of those 'Introducing xxx' books on Jung. Cartoons. It isn't so bad. Useful primer...