1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Could this be a breath of fresh air for CT surgeons?

Discussion in 'Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties' started by DoctaJay, Mar 26, 2007.

1. DoctaJay

DoctaJay bone breaker
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/26/AR2007032600700.html?nav=rss_email/components

So just to sum up what I read:

1) For stable patients, medication works just as well as stents
    2) The stent procedure WAS inherently thought to be better than other options before actual research was done
    3) Bypass surgery may be on the rebound with this new info.

Although I am far from a surgeon, I don't really believe that bypass surgeries will sharply rebound. If anything, more patients would probably choose to treat their blocked arteries through medication and lifestyle changes. But I guess if the prevention of a heart attack is the actual problem, some may now elect to have bypass surgery instead of a stent procedure. What do you all think?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Miami_med

Miami_med Moving Far Away
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Very interesting article. Of course, I wonder what was meant by lifestyle changes. I'd like to get my hands on the original study.

4. Dimoak

Dimoak Member
    10+ Year Member

I just find it somewhat interesting that this study has been published somewhat around the time when Pfizer is pushing Caduet (essentially a combination of Lipitor and Norvasc).

5. jubb

jubb Tern
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Not sure about this study, all of the stents I've seen placed have been in people with new onset chest pain. I guess I didn't realize that stable people were getting stented. I wonder if they looked at exercise tolerance. Sure you can beta block the heck out of someone to prevent future heart attacks, but they won't be able to do anything active.

Justin

6. dynx

dynx Yankee Imperialist
    15+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Exactly, this would really bum out all my CAD patients that are also marathon runners.