Could this be true?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
i dont get how his overal gpa is a 3.2 with a bcpm of 4.0, he must have stunk up his non-science courses...if he can get an A in his sci courses at HOPKINS and HARVARD, how did he NOT get an A in NON-SCIENCES....LIES ALL LIES AHHHHHHH

He seems angry and I think he got rejected everywhere, so he did that to spite people.

I think the first one is real... in fact, I'm 99.99% certain of it. Stories like that are so dang sad. It shows how much people underestimate the value of a good interview and good followup. You sir Glass of Brokenness, shouldn't worry too much, because you will interview well and your profile will generate many questions in the interview.

Th second one you list has a bunch of discrepencies in the profile. Michigan resident applying straight MD in the running at UCSD, even with those fictious numbers, is not likely because of residency requirements. The list of schools does not make much sense. An arrogant applicant of that nature, if he were in fact real, would have a drastically different list of schools. I'm just not believing that one at all.

I feel like with scores like hers, I doubt she would've thought that schools like AMC or Drexel were NOT safeties. I mean a high GPA from Berkeley and a near perfect MCAT score shoudl put her in the running for ANY school.

The only thing I could think that happened was that schools like Drexel and AMC thought her too good and did use them as safeties and in turn rejected her...while schools like Harvard, Brown, etc. found her cocky (maybe) and no personality (another maybe).

I had a friend from my school that was a lawyer first and came back and got accepted to UVA, Vanderbilt, MCV, but not EVMS.

I feel like with scores like hers, I doubt she would've thought that schools like AMC or Drexel were NOT safeties. I mean a high GPA from Berkeley and a near perfect MCAT score shoudl put her in the running for ANY school.

The only thing I could think that happened was that schools like Drexel and AMC thought her too good and did use them as safeties and in turn rejected her...while schools like Harvard, Brown, etc. found her cocky (maybe) and no personality (another maybe).

I had a friend from my school that was a lawyer first and came back and got accepted to UVA, Vanderbilt, MCV, but not EVMS.

Exactly what I was thinking. THey prolly figured she woulda gotten into Harvard or somewhere.. and perhaps just didn't want to waste a spot with an overqualified applicant. B/c I'm sure you have your share of 30 - 32 MCATs applying to Drexel with OK extracurriculars and getting in.

Yeah, it's very possibly true. It just goes to show you that superior numbers aren't guarantee of anything and that, while they are certainly important, your numbers aren't the whole picture. There are many other factors involved in a successful application outside of good GPA and MCAT score: application planning, personal statement, secondary essays, LORs, interview skills, and others factors.

LOOK at where she applied! She had no safeties

Franklin and Albany seem like safeties when you consider her numbers only.

I think this is a testimony to how important letters of rec and interviews are. Every year, there are always a couple of our students that no matter how much we nag (and that describes it), they don't put the time into getting their letters in early and they don't prepare for the interview. They spend months preparing for the MCAT, but won't take two to three hours to put together a packet to present to a potential letter of rec writer. AAAAHHHHHHHHH!

Take every step of the process seriously... it all matters. It's not just numbers!!!

Ouch. Someone comb through the morgue records at all CA hospitals for a 22 y/o female, East-Asian, cause of death most likely a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

All fake MDapplicant profiles aside, I know a girl at my school who applied last cycle and was interviewed at virtually every top school for Md/PhD, then subsequently waitlisted/rejected by every single one of them. As of now, she still does not have a school to go to in 2 months.

Hell, given the relatively small Md/PhD applicant pool at the top 10 schools, many people who applied last cycle might even know her...

I feel really bad for her, but damn, the girl has no interpersonal skills. Though she proves an important point: high achieving researchers with high GPA and MCAT do get rejected, and probably get rejected all the time.

Never walk into an interview making them feel like you're competing for the most awkward person in the world.

It's possible. As other people have mentioned, she might have really blown her interviews by being awkward, cocky, shy, or any of the above. Maybe her essays were bad, or one of her LORs raised a red flag. Any number of things really.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if she is a member of SDN and asked questions about interviews....

Was talking to a former adcom member last week and this is what she told me. "Everyone on the committees, at first, thinks that we need make sure we admit the applicants with all of the best numbers. That is until we actually meet them and realize that we would never most of them to be our doctors!"

Just goes to show you that once you pass the bar that the schools set for their secondaries, it is all about people skills after that.

to what those above have said, I'd like to point out that some applicants ( a very small number) have a bigger problem than just poor interview skills. I have experienced some with very clear signs of mental illness who still have extraordinary numbers. It's a pretty familiar phenomenon in mental health circles....the occasional isolated loner who does nothing but study, who gradually shows signs of an incipient psychosis. The common first age for a psychotic break is during undergraduate years. A somewhat larger number have severe personality problems. So whenever you see a great disparity between the stats and the results, this is one possibility (I'm not saying this is the case for the person cited above).

Ouch. Someone comb through the morgue records at all CA hospitals for a 22 y/o female, East-Asian, cause of death most likely a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

I doubt that (though I know you are just being snarky) as somebody with those kinds of stats and no ECs was just probably incredibly smart and gifted, and just cursorily applied to medical school because they though that "that's what smart people become" and didn't seriously want to be a doctor anyways. The ADCOMs sensed that, and rejected her.

We are missing another key fact: did this person apply late? Lateness kills chances for lots of otherwise great applicants.

Either way, this is a statistical outlier...doesn't really mean much to me one way or the other...

We are missing another key fact: did this person apply late? Lateness kills chances for lots of otherwise great applicants.

Either way, this is a statistical outlier...doesn't really mean much to me one way or the other...

Hmm... I really doubt that. There are a few people who apply late and still get in. This person what just plain rejected pre and post secondary to a lot of schools. I sense a lack of a real reason to get into medical school other than respect.

second ones gotta be fake, read the comments on his profile.

The Harvard guy seems like a douchebag. Even if it's real, the comments are just pure flame.

Was talking to a former adcom member last week and this is what she told me. "Everyone on the committees, at first, thinks that we need make sure we admit the applicants with all of the best numbers. That is until we actually meet them and realize that we would never most of them to be our doctors!"

Just goes to show you that once you pass the bar that the schools set for their secondaries, it is all about people skills after that.
Oh, yeah. At my school, they offer interviews to academically capable individuals, but then they select the people that they would actually like to attend the school based on the interviews. Most of my classmates are probably going to be great doctors, but when you see the few people who apparently "slipped under the radar," you're glad that there's an interview process to make sure most people are going to be the kind of people you'd like to work with.

She must have choked... i mean real bad... on her personal statement or interview for this to have happened.

i dont get how his overal gpa is a 3.2 with a bcpm of 4.0, he must have stunk up his non-science courses...if he can get an A in his sci courses at HOPKINS and HARVARD, how did he NOT get an A in NON-SCIENCES....LIES ALL LIES AHHHHHHH

He seems angry and I think he got rejected everywhere, so he did that to spite people.

Oh it's possible to stink at nonscience classes.... take my unfortunate example for instance...

I got B's in two of the easiest fresh/soph level humanities classes last semester... and got A's in the two most difficult science courses in my department. It's probably an issue of interest, I had too much trouble motivating myself in those classes... also skipped a lot :(

I think the Harvard guy is fake too, but it's conceivably to see somebody kill science and blow everything else.

I had a friend undergrad (was going to go into medicine, went PhD instead) who did not have a non analytical bone in his body. We were getting a series of lectures in a class about proper writing technique for scientific papers. Everyone was complaining about the confining, boring style of writing you have to use. This guy loved it. He told us about how he'd drop his basic rhetoric requirement classes 2 times because he didn't want to have to write a short story or any other kind of creative writing. He couldn't take any gen ed which required any interpretive reading or essays. He just didn't have a creative or artistic bone in his body.

Another thing to consider with this girl is that she didn't want to be a doctor and was pressured into it by parents or friends. If she wrote a wishy washy personal statement that's going to rub schools the wrong way and if she has no passion in interviews, nobody wants to give her a slot over somebody who really wants it.