Could use some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bumpus79

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all SDN folk:

First, let me say best of luck to all of those who are starting their medical school/programs in the fall. These are very impressive accomplishments and I would hope that with some luck I could be in the same boat.

Ok now let me ask you for some advice. I graduated back in 2001 from undergrad and in 2002 from grad school with degrees in engineering. My overall GPA was around 3.2-3.3 from undergrad and 3.5 from grad. After that, I have been working in my field but had taken classes as an "informal post bacc" and to just broaden my horizons in advanced biology and biological sciences. There, my GPA was 3.8-3.9. I took the MCAT back in 2005 and got a 31R.

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on the instance), life happened, and I decided not to apply to school due to family reasons and health reasons. Actually, I got married then I got sick so I had to put most of my ambitions on hold for a while. Now, however, I want to restart this application exercise and finish what I had started to do. Luckily, I have been able to participate in a medical setting over the years through volunteer work.

So what do you guys think I should do? I do need to retake the MCAT for sure. But do you guys think I have any chance of doing this or should I just not even bother?

Any thoughts are most appreciated!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

When were your last post-bacc classes?

You definitely have potential to succeed. However, it may be a year or two before you should start applying. You need to retake the MCAT and you may need to take a few classes to prove that you still have potential for good grades in med school (depending on how long ago your post-bacc was).

Nice job keeping up the medical volunteering in the meantime. That will definitely help.

Do you know what your total undergraduate GPA will be, including postbacc courses you've already done? You can use this spreadsheet to calculate it. Also, what's your BCPM GPA?

Last class was in 2007.
My grand total UG GPA is 3.46 and BCMP is 3.40 (if I calculated correctly)

As for the volunteer work, to be honest, it's that what kept me sane while I was sick. I was working full time but the volunteer work helped to keep things in perspective.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last class was in 2007.
My grand total UG GPA is 3.46 and BCMP is 3.40 (if I calculated correctly)

As for the volunteer work, to be honest, it's that what kept me sane while I was sick. I was working full time but the volunteer work helped to keep things in perspective.
Sounds good. Your GPAs are a little low for MD, but I'm guessing you already know that. They're certainly within the acceptance range though, especially if you can pull off a good score on the MCAT again. I think you have a great shot at DO schools

I don't know if you need more recent coursework than 2007. Hopefully someone will stop by to comment on that. It certainly wouldn't hurt

You can check out this forum http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=110 for more information. They have some very informative stickies that will provide good ideas on how to get in as a non-trad. Good luck:thumbup:

Thanks for the advice. Out of curiousity, do you think it is worthwhile to try my hand at the SMP route to improve the MD chances. The DO route would be fine but I wonder whether it would be worthwhile to try and increase my MD potential through the SMP route. I'm thinking if that would help to kind of shore up the thought of being prepared to handle the curriculum. Basically, I want to try and move this along given that the longer I wait, the harder it gets (first because it seems to be getting more competitive by the year and second, because I'm not as much of a spring chicken as when I was in my early-mid twenties :laugh:). If I can start an SMP in Fall of '12 then apply for school for the fall of '13, that maybe a feasible option.

In any case, thoughts/opinions are most appreciated!

Hey Catalystik, if you have a moment, I would appreciate your opinion! Thanks!!

Last edited: