Could use some advice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueRhino

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm heading into my 4th year at the University of Virginia (Biology + Psychology major). I'm a FL resident.

I've got a 3.0 cGPA, 2.9 sGPA. I think I'm going to have a really good year and maybe bring my GPA up to 3.2. I know 3.0 screams lazy but I'm really not. I just feel like UVa pre-med is really competitive and I'm not good at organic chemistry.

As far as EC's go, I'll be an EMT in the fall, interned at a physical rehabilitation clinic in NY for a couple months in summer of 2010, volunteered 1 year at psychiatric research center (75 hours), volunteered 1 year at thoracic cardiovascular post op unit (75 hours) and will volunteer again next year. I'm also vice president of my fraternity. I'm planning on getting a research position through work study and may TA an intro biology lab.

I've been working on SN2'ed study plan all summer and I took AAMC4 and got a 29 (10PS,9V,10BS) and just took AAMC5 and got a 33 (11PS,11V,11BS). I think I can manage a 35 on the real deal.

I'm assuming that I'll get rejected left and right at DO schools with a 3.1-3.2 GPA, my EC's, and a 35 MCAT.

What can I do? I know that if I had gone to UF or FSU, I could easily be cruising with a 3.6 GPA. Should I just head straight into a post-bacc program or take a 5th year at UVA and retake the courses I got C's in? Gen chem and orgo killed my GPA and I'm confident I could get A's if not B+'s in them.

As far as money goes, I've gotten incredible amounts of financial aid from UVA so I'll have no debt when I finish my 4th year. I'd still get federal grants in my 5th year so the 5th year may only cost 20k in loans.

I'd really appreciate any input on my situation. Thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I'm heading into my 4th year at the University of Virginia (Biology + Psychology major). I'm a FL resident.

I've got a 3.0 cGPA, 2.9 sGPA. I think I'm going to have a really good year and maybe bring my GPA up to 3.2. I know 3.0 screams lazy but I'm really not. I just feel like UVa pre-med is really competitive and I'm not good at organic chemistry.

As far as EC's go, I'll be an EMT in the fall, interned at a physical rehabilitation clinic in NY for a couple months in summer of 2010, volunteered 1 year at psychiatric research center (75 hours), volunteered 1 year at thoracic cardiovascular post op unit (75 hours) and will volunteer again next year. I'm also vice president of my fraternity. I'm planning on getting a research position through work study and may TA an intro biology lab.

I've been working on SN2'ed study plan all summer and I took AAMC4 and got a 29 (10PS,9V,10BS) and just took AAMC5 and got a 33 (11PS,11V,11BS). I think I can manage a 35 on the real deal.

I'm assuming that I'll get rejected left and right at DO schools with a 3.1-3.2 GPA, my EC's, and a 35 MCAT.

What can I do? I know that if I had gone to UF or FSU, I could easily be cruising with a 3.6 GPA. Should I just head straight into a post-bacc program or take a 5th year at UVA and retake the courses I got C's in? Gen chem and orgo killed my GPA and I'm confident I could get A's if not B+'s in them.

As far as money goes, I've gotten incredible amounts of financial aid from UVA so I'll have no debt when I finish my 4th year. I'd still get federal grants in my 5th year so the 5th year may only cost 20k in loans.

You've got good EC's. You need to add in some shadowing. Preferably D.O. if you're going that route. (Taking into account your grades, you're a long-shot at M.D.)

While your GPAs are low, there is always grade replacement. If you get them up to the stats you quoted, you won't be dead in the water, just a little low.

As for the MCAT, be aware that people normally score higher on practice tests than they do on the real thing. Not trying to discourage you at all, just be aware. Shoot for the 35, but don't go in there thinking you're going to get a 35 JUST because you're scoring 30-33 on practice tests.

With that said, if you do end up getting a 30+ on the MCAT, that will go a long way to offset the low GPAs and will likely get you in somewhere.

You are far from SOL.

In short, go for that 35 and do some shadowing and you'll be fine. Also look into replacing courses you did poorly in.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a decent shot, assuming you DO get a 35 on the MCAT, at DO schools. That being said, don't assume because you are scoring >30 on the practice tests that you will get a 35 on the MCAT, usually that isn't the case - most people score lower than they did on the practice tests. A good way to predict is to average all of your AAMC scores - that ended up being .5 points away from my true MCAT score.

The name of your school helps a lot, they realize a 3.0 at UVA is probably more difficult than say, a 3.5 at.. oh, I dunno, we'll pick Radford...

Apply anyway MD and DO if you bust a decent MCAT, as many schools as you can afford, and if you don't get in anywhere, retake classes you know you can ace the second time, which DO schools are more forgiving of. You'll be fine.

might want to apply to some caribbean schools, just in case. I scored 36 on a few practice MCATs, got a 34 on the real thing, you never know. Looks from a lot of admissions sites and tips that gpa is more important than MCAT.

Hey everyone,

Thats exactly how the oh say 5000 freshmen premeds at UF feel until they realize only about 10% of people get As in Bio and Orgo and a smaller amount get As in physics. I promise you if you were only capable of a 2.9 at UVA not much would have changed at UF. I was one of 4 people to get an A- or better in my biochem class of 200 people. Premed isn't only competitive where your at, kids will cut your throat to get ahead pretty much everywhere.

Will you be applying in FL? If I were you, I'd take an extra year, boost the gpa up to around 3.4-3.5.
Also, I was planning on transferring to UVA, but I'm thinking about just going to FL (parents have property there) and establishing residency there because of all the schools they have that prefer in state. If you don't mind me asking, how are you still a resident in FL if you are at UVA?

most state schools determine residency by where your parents' live, if you're still a dependent on your parents' tax returns. Doesn't matter if you went out of state for school, unless they don't claim you on their taxes anymore.

most state schools determine residency by where your parents' live, if you're still a dependent on your parents' tax returns. Doesn't matter if you went out of state for school, unless they don't claim you on their taxes anymore.
Oh ok, that's great, but that would probably mean you have to pay full (oos) tuition at the current out of state school you are at right?

true, its higher, but not out of the question.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble gatorfann14 but I have several friends with 3.5's (or better) at UF on the pre-med track and I was significantly smarter than they were in high school. It is absurd to think that every pre-med program across the country is comparable. As much as I think UVa is a good school, it would be crazy for me to think that Harvard pre-med would be comparable to UVa pre-med. There are obviously much brighter kids at Harvard than at UVa.

Next time, when you try to brag about your intelligence, it would be wise to know the difference between your and you're. Just saying.

Gatorfan, I think most unis are like that. At my school, usually 8-12% get A's out of 300 or so.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble gatorfann14 but I have several friends with 3.5's (or better) at UF on the pre-med track and I was significantly smarter than they were in high school. It is absurd to think that every pre-med program across the country is comparable. As much as I think UVa is a good school, it would be crazy for me to think that Harvard pre-med would be comparable to UVa pre-med. There are obviously much brighter kids at Harvard than at UVa.

Next time, when you try to brag about your intelligence, it would be wise to know the difference between your and you're. Just saying.

Trust me man, UF isn't very easy at all. The best students in Florida go to UF, and I've seen some REALLY good students struggle at UF. And things drastically change from High school to college, sometimes in an upward trend, or in downward. Sorry if this comes out as too harsh but- never use your school as an excuse.