Could use some help after low boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jpmiz

M4
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I could use some help figuring out what to do. I’m a DO student and I got my USMLE and COMLEX scores back this week and dropped significantly from practice tests. UWSA2/NBMEs and my COMSAEs were predicting high 230s and high 600s respectively and I ended up with a 207 and a 481. I have no idea what happened or how I could have prepared any better. I thought I was ready. At this point I’m just hoping to match into any psych program. I’m from the Midwest so any programs there would be great.

I know standard advice is to do better on step 2 but with practice tests not being predictive for me at all this time around, I don’t know how much I can do and I’ve lost confidence.

I’ve been interested in psych since day one so I have a fair amount of ECs to show dedication to the field, but can anyone offer me any other advice or give me an idea of any programs I may be okay to match to?

Thanks everyone!

Tl;dr Boards very low, DO. Hoping to match anywhere. HELP!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Apply broadly in the Midwest. Region wise, it is the least competitive so that is a plus for you.
Do you know of any in particular that aren’t very competitive?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know of any in particular that aren’t very competitive?
USD, UND, there’s a newer community program in Des Moines, Creighton, U Illinois Peoria, KCUMB - those are just a few I can randomly think of off the top of my head.

Last edited:
So the good news is that you've demonstrated interest in psych since before you received your disappointing test results, and that will help. You'll want to reference that in your statement. Also, you're in the Midwest, which (aside from Chicago) is generally less competitive overall.

Assuming you're better in person than you look on paper (on paper, your test scores will be the first thing they see, so...), I'd suggest you strategize carefully. I don't know if away rotations are the norm for psych like they are in many other fields, but I'd suggest you try a few at mid-tier programs that would otherwise be 'attainable-reaches' for you. Target programs that have taken DOs in the past, are not so strong that they'd rule you out, but are strong enough and in locations that are better for you than for the average applicant. So programs you'd be happy with and that would take you if they like you and you perform well. If you can show them that the real you is much better than your numbers, you'll probably have a decent shot.

Also target programs where your faculty members have connections and that have taken previous graduates. Network now before it violates Match rules.

So the good news is that you've demonstrated interest in psych since before you received your disappointing test results, and that will help. You'll want to reference that in your statement. Also, you're in the Midwest, which (aside from Chicago) is generally less competitive overall.

Assuming you're better in person than you look on paper (on paper, your test scores will be the first thing they see, so...), I'd suggest you strategize carefully. I don't know if away rotations are the norm for psych like they are in many other fields, but I'd suggest you try a few at mid-tier programs that would otherwise be 'attainable-reaches' for you. Target programs that have taken DOs in the past, are not so strong that they'd rule you out, but are strong enough and in locations that are better for you than for the average applicant. So programs you'd be happy with and that would take you if they like you and you perform well. If you can show them that the real you is much better than your numbers, you'll probably have a decent shot.

Also target programs where your faculty members have connections and that have taken previous graduates. Network now before it violates Match rules.
Thank you, this helps a lot!

They say that Millcreek up in Erie is SUPER low-tier and has trouble filling. You could always keep them in mind, maybe even do an away there next year to get your foot in the door.