Could you name heart surgery text books that cardiac surgery residents must study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ali3600

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
for example stanford or ucla residents

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
for example stanford or ucla residents

Sabiston and Spencer Surgery of the Chest is pretty good overall
Pearson's Thoracic and Esophageal Surgery
Kirklin/Barratt-Boyes and Jonas are really good for congenital heart surgery

Separately, I like the TSRA review and the TSRA clinical scenarios books.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You'll be busy so efficiency is key here. Agree with my colleague above about the TSRA books, the review and the clinical scenarios are a must have. All I ever did for the inservice exam was the TSRA review and SESATS and I usually did okay (~70%).

If you're an absolute beginner get the TSRA primer, that thing is solid gold and will make u look like less of an idiot starting out.

I like the organization of the Hopkins text book and its easier to read, so if you're looking for a big textbook to just sit and read I would give that a try. The Khonsari atlas is a must have, it teaches you how to operate and most importantly how to consistently un**** yourself...if you don't know what that means you will soon :) If you're a junior resident or starting out get Bojar's manual also for the ICU care.

Overall I would say if you're starting out in cardiac I would get both TSRA books and the primer, Hopkins, Khonsari and Bojar. If you're a thoracic person you'll need a thoracic book with some atlas function on top of that....I like Sugarbakers book but again I'm a cardiac person so take that with a grain of salt. I defer to my thoracic pals for advice on that (sugarbaker vs pearson vs sabiston & spencer)

I use Cohn and Kirklin for reference mostly if I really want to drill down on a topic, I find them hard to read in entirety. I liked Mastery but some of the chapters can be a little hit or miss in my opinion and I don't think the organization of it is good for the beginner especially....I would flip through that one before you buy it.

Reactions: 1 users
You'll be busy so efficiency is key here. Agree with my colleague above about the TSRA books, the review and the clinical scenarios are a must have. All I ever did for the inservice exam was the TSRA review and SESATS and I usually did okay (~70%).

If you're an absolute beginner get the TSRA primer, that thing is solid gold and will make u look like less of an idiot starting out.

I like the organization of the Hopkins text book and its easier to read, so if you're looking for a big textbook to just sit and read I would give that a try. The Khonsari atlas is a must have, it teaches you how to operate and most importantly how to consistently un**** yourself...if you don't know what that means you will soon :) If you're a junior resident or starting out get Bojar's manual also for the ICU care.

Overall I would say if you're starting out in cardiac I would get both TSRA books and the primer, Hopkins, Khonsari and Bojar. If you're a thoracic person you'll need a thoracic book with some atlas function on top of that....I like Sugarbakers book but again I'm a cardiac person so take that with a grain of salt. I defer to my thoracic pals for advice on that (sugarbaker vs pearson vs sabiston & spencer)

I use Cohn and Kirklin for reference mostly if I really want to drill down on a topic, I find them hard to read in entirety. I liked Mastery but some of the chapters can be a little hit or miss in my opinion and I don't think the organization of it is good for the beginner especially....I would flip through that one before you buy it.
What he/she said. If your program will front the cost, get the SESATS for questions. For quick reads, I also found the Thoracic Surgery Clinics articles to be very well-done. Lastly, the TSRA Operative Dictations book is money in the bank for going through steps and also some pitfalls and obviously for dication purposes.