Could you survey pre-meds at your college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

donaldpeters

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a survey in my OChem-2 class (big-10 university) with the help of the instructor who was interested in the results. Of the 139 pre-med students, all participated in the survey and only 2 had even heard of SDN. No one had posted here and the teacher and I believe they are telling the truth. We polled them on 20 different questions to disguise my real interest in SDN. My reason for doing the survey was that I had become suspicious when I noticed that most people who posted in the 30+ MCAT thread had only 1, 2, 3 or few posts. Could TPR, Kaplan and others be merely trolling in the 30+ MCAT thread with an intent of promoting their products? Or do you think it is the work of SDN insiders, who as someone posted might be the #1 mass trolls? Could the rest of you also survey your classmates and find out if people even know about SDN? Ask like 20+ assorted questions and let the SDN question be just one of them. SDN usership is almost nil at my university (big-10). I am curious what your survey might show.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Too much work..but i would be curious to know the results. Update us soon ;)

Too much work..but i would be curious to know the results. Update us soon ;)

SDN usership is nil at my big-10 university, which is why I was interested in results from elsewhere. It's not too much work. Give them 20 questions to disguise your real interest in SDN but just look at the SDN question. It takes less than an hour, trust me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although I find the purpose behind the survey pointless, I just want to add that it would be better to survey members of a pre-med organization for this info instead of students in a science lecture.

Another way of estimating true SDN readership is to post a link to your new website in a popular thread and post the same link a couple places elsewhere on SDN and check how many UNIQUE ISP's show up looking at your website. Does anyone want to try doing this?? My hypothesis, based on survey finding at my big-10 university, is that SDN readership among pre-meds is much less than 1%. I wish someone will do this study and confirm whether or not this is true.

Although I find the purpose behind the survey pointless, I just want to add that it would be better to survey members of a pre-med organization for this info instead of students in a science lecture.

Yeah absolutely - someone should go ahead and survey members of their pre-med organization! I still think it will be much less than 1%. I am at a fairly representative university in the country (big-10 university) and SDN usership is like nil here. I wonder how much it is at other universities. Because if the survey results are similar, and I suspect they will be, it should tell us we have been trolled by the people who run SDN. Just do the survey please. It takes less than an hour!

yeah i'm sure if you surveyed a pre-med organization there would be a lot more people who knew about sdn. you must be pretty dedicated to actually survey your class

I did a survey in my OChem-2 class (big-10 university) with the help of the instructor who was interested in the results. Of the 139 pre-med students, all participated in the survey and only 2 had even heard of SDN. No one had posted here and the teacher and I believe they are telling the truth. We polled them on 20 different questions to disguise my real interest in SDN. My reason for doing the survey was that I had become suspicious when I noticed that most people who posted in the 30+ MCAT thread had only 1, 2, 3 or few posts. Could TPR, Kaplan and others be merely trolling in the 30+ MCAT thread with an intent of promoting their products? Or do you think it is the work of SDN insiders, who as someone posted might be the #1 mass trolls? Could the rest of you also survey your classmates and find out if people even know about SDN? Ask like 20+ assorted questions and let the SDN question be just one of them. SDN usership is almost nil at my university (big-10). I am curious what your survey might show.

I'm at a major UC and I did not hear about SDN until late sophmore year, and that was from random browsing. Haha, the pre-health advisor at our school specifically tells us not to come on here, but I can't seem to remember why...

Haha, the pre-health advisor at our school specifically tells us not to come on here, but I can't seem to remember why...

Because if everyone knew about SDN, the pre-health advisor wouldn't have a job?

Mods, did you IP ban Mr. Conspiracy from earlier this week? If not, I think this is he reincarnate.

In all honesty, I knew nothing about this site until I started applying. When application time came, a couple of my older friends told me about it so I decided to check it out. It's not that surprising to me that there's a lot of people that don't know about it.

Break out the tool box because it's TOOL TIME! I don't think I could poll my peers about SDN with a straight face. Oh, and also because my normal friends would stop talking to me

Last edited:
Another way of estimating true SDN readership is to post a link to your new website in a popular thread and post the same link a couple places elsewhere on SDN and check how many UNIQUE ISP's show up looking at your website. Does anyone want to try doing this?? My hypothesis, based on survey finding at my big-10 university, is that SDN readership among pre-meds is much less than 1%. I wish someone will do this study and confirm whether or not this is true.

Anyone wants to try the above? It can also be modified in a cool way to know which multiple handles are used by the same person.

You'd be surprised on how many pre-meds have a 3.7+ GPA with a 30+ MCAT who don't know SDN, don't have any EC's or even clinical exposure, don't even know when is the earliest to start the application. I had a couple say that AMCAS opens when the Fall term starts.