Counseling Masters, APA and CACREP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gvh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right, so I know there have been (multiple) threads addressing the CACREP issue, but I have yet to find one that answers my question. I am applying to do my M.A/M.S/M.Ed in Counseling for this fall. I aim to get licensed, however my eventual goal would be to enroll into a PhD program, and am confused by a few things.

For instance, Columbia TC's PhD in Counseling is accredited by the APA, but its Ed.M program in Psychological Counseling is not as APA does not accredit masters programs. So my question is, how would this program compare to, say a less-prestigious school which has a CACREP-accredited MA but with no PhD program?

Any insight into this would be appreciated! =)

Members don't see this ad.

ACA - Counselors. (CACREP)

APA - Clinical Psychologists.

There is a divide :(

For me - it is about the end point...

Do I want to be working with folks - every day - at the Masters level? yes! and that for me is the CACREP/ LPC/CMHC degree.

And if I want the PhD. (not!) because I want a different training experience, the ability to assess, the title of doctor, the ability to apply for a tenure track position, and the intrinsic interest in research -then - it is the APA - clinical psych route.

Not so cut and dried for most I know,

But for me - 60 credit hours, CACREP program -and I spend most of my time sitting with people doing counseling. Very little debt. Very little renumeration. Very content.

YMMV.

Vasa Lisa