Counseling Psychology and Health Psych/Behavioral Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychhealth101

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on pursuing a career in health psychology/behavioral medicine with a PhD in counseling psychology? Do they usually prefer clinical psych degrees? Are there any obstacles or stigmas associated with counseling psychologists in the health psychology/behavioral medicine field? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Training in behavioral med/health psych and medical centers is more frequently associated with clinical training programs than counseling
2. I've seen some bias in this domain against counseling because of the above (some justified and some not)
3. Facility faculty may not know who is a counseling psychologist v clinical psychologist on their staff, which can lead to some interesting conversations when bias does pop up as part of conversation
4. Programs and faculty emphasizing this training area/specialty will likely be good at providing needed training assuming their program has the needed associated training opportunities (clinically, as well as coursework wise - which is equally important IMHO to learn all the medical masquerades and such). Trust stable outcome trends to demonstrate an emphasis rather than a simple fluke.

Reactions: 1 user
N = 1, obviously, but I'm currently completing a health psych prac in a large hospital system and both my supervisors are counseling psychologists.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For what it’s worth, the counseling psychology division of APA (Division 17) has a health psychology section. There are definitely counseling psychologists working in this area, though I agree that you more often find clinical psychologists in these roles.

What are your thoughts on pursuing a career in health psychology/behavioral medicine with a PhD in counseling psychology? Do they usually prefer clinical psych degrees? Are there any obstacles or stigmas associated with counseling psychologists in the health psychology/behavioral medicine field? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

There are definitely more clinical psychologists in that field and there CAN definitely be bias but also do not assume there will be. I am currently in a counseling psychology PhD program, and I have friends interested in health psychology. A friend a year above me interviewed at a hospital for prac and they asked her what counseling psychology even was. This year a student in my cohort was that same hospital's top choice for practicum at one of their rotations. We have had people in our cohort place for internship at hospitals, VAs, and community mental health sites. While there may be some confusion, questions, and biases when it comes to how a counseling psychologist may fit into health psychology, I believe it is totally possible and doable. Key elements of being successful are making sure you find an advisor who is doing research in health psychology, making sure your resume reflects your interests as a health psychologist, doing practicums and externships where you can gain the experience necessary to place at a health psychology internship placement, and making sure your course load provides you with the academic background necessary to be in these spaces.