Counseling Psychology student considering advanced practicum sites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhDBound1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in my second year in a reputable Counseling Psychology PhD program. Although I do not apply until this coming fall, I have managed to accrue enough doctoral hours to qualify for several sites that fit my interests. I have also completed the first draft of my dissertation. However, in terms of clinical experience, I have only worked in the training clinic, which sees both students and community clients.

In considering an advanced practicum for next year, I have an interview at my university's Counseling and Pyschiatric Services in February. I also have an interview this week at a community mental health center in town. I was also considering applying to other university or college counseling centers as backup, but they are all at least a 90-minute drive away, and I am a non-traditional student with a family.

My idea for internship was to split applications between university counseling centers, VA's, and community mental health centers. Given that I have taught a career planning class for two years, and seen university students in the training clinic, does anyone think that to be considered for a university counseling center internship, I must have experience at a university or college counseling center I mentioned above?

The community mental health center practicum seems to fit best with my long-term interests, but I don't want to put myself out of the running for a university counseling center internship.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

Members don't see this ad.

I really wanted to do an internship at a counseling center. I have a lot of interest and research background in gender and diversity issues and it seemed that a cc would offer some good opportunities to further develop these interests. Unfortunately, my program didn't offer any opportunity to do a practicum at a cc. I applied to a lot of cc internship sites an a few non-cc. While I had success getting interviews at the non-cc's, I didn't get a single interview at the cc's. My DCT was puzzled by this and contacted the cc's on my behalf. They uniformly said the issue was that i didn't have cc experience. I had a lot of hours and experience with a range of diagnoses, but that wasn't enough.

My degree is clinical and not counseling, so IDK if that was part of the issue too, but no one mentioned that.

If you want a cc internship, I'd say the practicum is a must.

good luck,
Dr. E

Yes, I've heard that counseling center want applicants who have counseling center experience. Everyone in my program I know who has gotten interviews at counseling centers had practicum experiences at one.

Thank you very much. That's what I suspected.