Counseling Psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

michalita

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there not enough people interested in a Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology for there to be a forum about it?

The doctorate forum is called "Clinical Psychology" while the MA/MSW/BA/BS (what about MS?) forum is called Psychology. ??? I know that every now and then, someone manages to mention Counseling Psychology (not Masters in Counseling Psychology, Doctorate in Counseling Psychology) and then the subject runs dry for a while. I just wonder how many people on the forums are interested in/in the field of Counseling Psych. (I do realize there are less programs in Counseling than Clinical).

:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think the programs differ enough to warrant a seperate forum. Application procedures are identical, so people coming here for guidance in applying wouldn't be helped. Many people (including myself, when I applied) apply to both clinical and counseling programs. It would seem to me that having a seperate board would just lead to people posting the same things in both.

I also applied to both, so no worries, you are welcome here. They are so close in many ways that, as JockNerd said, there just isn't a need for another board. Welcome!

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty much what JN said.

Many people apply to both, though since there are fewer, the counseling topics get less focus. Feel free to post about any questions/comments/etc you have, I am sure there are others out there who would be interested. When I was considering programs (pre-SDN), I never even knew about counseling programs, as well as some great clinical PhD programs there were lesser known.

-t

Is it easier to get into a counseling psychology program?

Is it easier to get into a counseling psychology program?

This is my experience (others share yours if it differs from mine!:)):

The differences between Clinical and Counseling psych programs are dwarfed by the differences between Clinical programs and Counsling programs in Ed departments and Counseling programs in psych departments.

I would say that Ed-housed counseling programs are less competitive in the sense that they get fewer applicants. There are several big trade-offs to this, however. Funding is, in my experience, much harder to secure in Ed-housed programs. Teaching is harder to come by. The faculties are much smaller and you have less chance of direct connection with people in social, cognitive, neuro, or whatever other psych subdivisions (you won't share a building with them). Research emphasis, in my experience, centres on things related in some way to vocation.

My experience is that psych-dept-housed counseling programs that are funded are equal with comparable clinical programs as to the odds of getting in and the general competitiveness of applicants. Research in these departments is more varied than in the ed-housed depts. (though still not severe psychopathology).

That sounds close to my experience. I am biased on this but if you want a Counseling Psych program that is in a Psych department and has good funding you may want to check out Notre Dame. They keep swearing that they will be switching to Clinical soon but they have been saying that since before I started undergrad there! Nevertheless, it is a good department (I think at least, but again, I am biased).

is actively moving towards clinical.

Joetro is more optimistic than I apparently. Clinical just makes more sense for ND and they are making steps but I just don't see it happening anytime soon because we have too many Counseling profs and I know of at least one Clinical prof who is going to retire in the next few years. We will see, I hope they do...in a lot of ways they run more like a Clinical department than a Counseling. I just don't want to lead people on by saying that it will be Clinical by the time you graduate with a PhD...it may be but I am not all that confident (and even if it is I am not sure how accreditation will work). That being said, it is a very good Counseling program. I am not in any way saying people shouldn't look at ND, I love the department, but I wouldn't go there because you assume they are going to become Clinical.

I don't think the programs differ enough to warrant a seperate forum. Application procedures are identical, so people coming here for guidance in applying wouldn't be helped. Many people (including myself, when I applied) apply to both clinical and counseling programs. It would seem to me that having a separate board would just lead to people posting the same things in both.

What kind of research experience would be helpful for an application for a PhD in Counseling Psychology? Is there a suggested number of published papers?

In reference to the Counseling PhD in education departments, what is the difference for this particular requirement?

What kind of research experience would be helpful for an application for a PhD in Counseling Psychology? Is there a suggested number of published papers?

In reference to the Counseling PhD in education departments, what is the difference for this particular requirement?

Same research experience as for equivalent clinical programs, really. Publications? I'd say none if you're applying straight from undergrad; just like clinical, it's really not typical for applicants to have publications.

The differences for ed-housed programs are primarily that a. the program must justify their existence to the Ed department (I've heard about this being either annoying or perilous in some universities) an b. there's usually less funding available for TAships, since Ed departments don't usually offer undergrad courses.

Did you mean differences in applications for Ed vs Psych housed programs? I'd say nothing, really...

Same research experience as for equivalent clinical programs, really. Publications? I'd say none if you're applying straight from undergrad; just like clinical, it's really not typical for applicants to have publications.

The differences for ed-housed programs are primarily that a. the program must justify their existence to the Ed department (I've heard about this being either annoying or perilous in some universities) an b. there's usually less funding available for TAships, since Ed departments don't usually offer undergrad courses.

Did you mean differences in applications for Ed vs Psych housed programs? I'd say nothing, really...

Thanks for your response!

Here are my stats:

* would not be applying straight from undergrad (career changer + going to wait a few years)
* did not get a BA/BS in psychology (liberal arts degree)
* currently working a master's degree in clinical social work
* scheduled to be working on a year-long research project as a requirement for my degree
* no other research experience
* will be acquiring additional clinical experience before applying (will have 3 years, between jobs and 24hr/wk internships by the time I graduate)

I know this is like the death nel, but my school choices are going to be limited by geography b/c of my family situation (married, starting to have children within several years) and where my husband can work (in a very specified field).

Locations: Boston, State College, PA, and possibly NYC. Not a *lot* of programs between the three... (State College $ of living < Boston < NYC!!) *Maybe* also the DC/Virginia/Maryland area.

Any suggestions? This is all a few years down the line but I'm doing my research (har) now.

Just to answer your original question, original poster, I plan on applying to a few counseling psychology programs and many clinical psych programs. A clinical and counseling psychology degree can obtain many of the same pre and post doc internships(which is where you gain most of your specialization experience anyway). Also, I find that many counseling psych programs have faculty studying one of my biggest research interests anyways - hence why I'll apply to some of them.

Thanks for your response!

Here are my stats:

* would not be applying straight from undergrad (career changer + going to wait a few years)
* did not get a BA/BS in psychology (liberal arts degree)
* currently working a master's degree in clinical social work
* scheduled to be working on a year-long research project as a requirement for my degree
* no other research experience
* will be acquiring additional clinical experience before applying (will have 3 years, between jobs and 24hr/wk internships by the time I graduate)

I know this is like the death nel, but my school choices are going to be limited by geography b/c of my family situation (married, starting to have children within several years) and where my husband can work (in a very specified field).

Locations: Boston, State College, PA, and possibly NYC. Not a *lot* of programs between the three... (State College $ of living < Boston < NYC!!) *Maybe* also the DC/Virginia/Maryland area.

Any suggestions? This is all a few years down the line but I'm doing my research (har) now.

Hey, I'm from around the same areas. I've heard only good things about Indiana University of Pennsylvania's Psy.D. program and Penn State's Counseling Ph.D.

I haven't heard much about Counseling Ph.D. programs in the Baltimore/DC area (which is where I am now) only the clinical programs. I don't know much about counseling ph.d. programs in the Boston/NYC areas....interesting places your husband can find work: 3 major cities and one rural college town. what does your husband do?

Just wanted to bring this thread back from the dead to see if there is anyone is who is currently starting counseling psych PhD programs or are planning on applying to them? I know there are many ways in which counseling psych is similar to clinical psych but i have found the broad research themes to be more oriented on non-pathological topics. Was anyone attracted to counseling psych specifically for this reason?

Last edited:
Just wanted to bring this thread back from the dead to see if there is anyone is who is currently starting counseling psych PhD programs or are planning on applying to them? I know there are many ways in which counseling psych is similar to clinical psych but i have found the broad research themes to be more oriented on non-pathological topics. Was anyone attracted to counseling psych specifically for this reason?

Yeah, I don't research psychopathology and don't have a strong interest in it (with one exception that generated some discussion on the board a few months ago :p).

Hey, I'm from around the same areas. I've heard only good things about Indiana University of Pennsylvania's Psy.D. program and Penn State's Counseling Ph.D.

I haven't heard much about Counseling Ph.D. programs in the Baltimore/DC area (which is where I am now) only the clinical programs. I don't know much about counseling ph.d. programs in the Boston/NYC areas....interesting places your husband can find work: 3 major cities and one rural college town. what does your husband do?

He works in acoustics engineering (Penn State has one of the best programs out there for it -- and it's where he got his Master's degree).

I do know one psychologist who got her PhD in Counseling Psych from Penn State, actually. :)