1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

counsling appointments with med schools...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DrewFromVA, Nov 23, 2002.

1. DrewFromVA

DrewFromVA Member
    10+ Year Member

Does anyone know if med schools will meet with you as an undergrad and counsel/give advice in regards to strengthening your application? I'm currently in the process of transfering to a four-year school from a community college. I (foolishly) only applied to a mediocre(at best) college here in my hometown, wanting to save money, stay near my family, etc. But, I am pretty sure I could transfer into a better school if I tried, but that would mean sitting out this next semester. So now I am reconsidering my choice of schools and I'd like to discuss this with someone in admissions at a med school, but I don't know if they are exactly in the buisness of advising pre-meds :confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. carmenrosie

carmenrosie Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I know that Northwestern periodically brings in the dean of the Medical School to meet with undergrads. You can schedule a 30 minute slot to ask any questions you have about med school and I believe that if you asked how to strengthen your app, that she would be able to give you advice. So...if Northwestern's med school does it, chances are you could find someone (maybe not the dean) that would be able to answer your questions at most schools.

4. gower

gower 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Make a call to Admissions at EVMS* and ask for an appointment to speak with someone about your concern. Make it clear that you are NOT an applicant to medical school this year and that you are a Virginia resident. U Virginia is the best place in the state, but I have no idea if you can transfer from a CC.

V Commonwealth in Richmond and V Poly in Blacksburg are two other options. At Poly, call Dr. Edwin Bunce, the premedical advisor. 540/231-4522.

*Susan Castora, Director of Admissions, 757/446-5812

5. EMBess

EMBess Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

As someone with some experience in this arena, I would say that the best thing for you to do at the point where you are now is to talk to the pre-med advisor at your 4-year college. No matter how "mediocre" the school, what matters the most is what you do with it - if you show that you can go from "high school with a cigarette" community college to a four year college and pick up right away doing well on your coursework, that's what's important. I am a big advocate of non-"name brand" educations - since that's what mine was and I loved it and it prepared me really well for medical school, which I am in the first year of now, at MCV. The VA med schools know the VA colleges, and they know that a 3.8 means slightly different things at different places, but the going from community college to four year college is an added level of experience/maturity that might just make you more desireable in the long run. Go wherever makes sense for you, just be prepared to dicuss your motivations in the future, as you would for anything. Oh, and if you have to choose between CNU and ODU, I would pick ODU, even though it's not in Hampton Rhodes per se. There are a few people in my class from ODU, but none that I now of from CNU.
    I have to say, as for UVa being the "best" of the med schools in VA, it just depends on what type of education you're looking for - by their own admission, UVa is more research oriented than MCV or EVMS, and again there's that whole "brand name" thing....just a rant from a VCU alumna.
    As for talking to the deans of admission, usually they tend to offer more information in the form of meetings with people who have applied in the past and got wait listed, and are looking for what to do in the mean time to improve. They sometimes give forums for undergrads, but again at your stage using your premed advisor or some of the application couseling services (Kaplan offers some) might be more likely to help you.
    Hope this helps. It helped me procrastinate from studying for anatomy.:D