GiantGiantsFan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2004
Status
I just talked to someone of the admisions staff. She said decisions will be mailed out by "the end of March." Gak! That leaves 24 more days...moreover, the decisions will be mailed to our permanent addresses, meaning mummy and daddy may hear the news before we do. So, 24 days and counting for this fine med school (my #1 choice)...

chlorineK

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2005
Status
I heard (on another thread) that there could be acceptance emails on March 22. This means that we could have 15 more days! Quite exctiting...

ramblinwreckie

10+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2005
Status
chlorineK said:
I heard (on another thread) that there could be acceptance emails on March 22. This means that we could have 15 more days! Quite exctiting...
That's what I thought too (March 22).

superdevil

planning my escape
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2003
always in the last place i look
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
i wonder if we can conjure up as much idiotic, forum-polluting hysteria as the people waiting on harvard. :idea: nah, on second thought, let's not. ;)

and yes, all indications i've seen indicate a march 22 notification date. good luck everyone!!! :luck:

superdevil

planning my escape
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2003
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
VeggieGal said:
have y'all submitted your fafsa yet?
yes. but when i called yale last week to see if all of my financial aid info had arrived (like my tax forms and that insufferable Need Access questionairre), they said they didn't know because they hadn't gone through their mail yet. so i guess there's no huge hurry to do that stuff after all.

DianaLynne

Catwoman!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
Status
They send it to our PERMANENT address?!?! D'oh, why did we have to pick out a "preferred" address on AMCAS? I don't want my mom getting my letter! Ooh, but that's Spring Break, maybe I'll be there!

So it's the 22nd hmm? I'd heard 24th, so now we're looking at two weeks til it's all said and done. Thank God, I hate this part.

superdevil

planning my escape
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2003
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
DianaLynne said:
They send it to our PERMANENT address?!?! D'oh, why did we have to pick out a "preferred" address on AMCAS? I don't want my mom getting my letter! Ooh, but that's Spring Break, maybe I'll be there!
i believe they also send an email the day decisions are released, so don't worry about where you are on the 22nd (or whenever). as long as you're feverishly checking SDN on the internet, you'll know your fate. :)

chumpana

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Status
superdevil said:
i believe they also send an email the day decisions are released, so don't worry about where you are on the 22nd (or whenever). as long as you're feverishly checking SDN on the internet, you'll know your fate. :)

hey superdevil,

do you know if the email decision if for any decision in general (rejection/wl/acceptance) or just if you're lucky enough to be accepted?

maybe Yale's really really ahead and decides to send out the decisions sooner? (yeah, i know. wishful thinking :rolleyes: )

Cosmodion

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
Status
If I get in, I'm getting a mohawk.

For those reading this who subsequently get in, and if I also get in, and if you see a guy with a mohawk at the 2nd look, say wassup.

VeggieGal

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2004
Status
do you think that our status page would change to accepted?

GuyLaroche

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Status
VeggieGal said:
do you think that our status page would change to accepted?
Um, absolutely not! Do you realize how slow Yale is to update that website? e-mails will be sent but status page updates is never going to happen. How quickly you forget how long it took them to update you to complete pre-interview

VeggieGal

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2004
Status
i actually got an interview 2 weeks after i turned in my secondary, and my page was updated really fast. i never seemed to have a problem with them being slow.

bidster

15+ Year Member
May 29, 2003
Visit site
Status
GuyLaroche said:
Um, absolutely not! Do you realize how slow Yale is to update that website? e-mails will be sent but status page updates is never going to happen. How quickly you forget how long it took them to update you to complete pre-interview
My bank had scanned my secondary fee check--signed/endorsed by Yale--and put it online for me to see 4 weeks before my status changed. :p

superdevil

planning my escape
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2003
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
chumpana said:
hey superdevil,

do you know if the email decision if for any decision in general (rejection/wl/acceptance) or just if you're lucky enough to be accepted?
as i understand it, they send the decisions to everyone. can anybody confirm this?

Originally Posted by chumpana
maybe Yale's really really ahead and decides to send out the decisions sooner? (yeah, i know. wishful thinking :rolleyes: )
:laugh: oh, my. thanks, i needed the laugh. ;)

chumpana

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Status
we had to start a countdown thread...

its been months since I interviewed, and I put the thought of getting a decision way outta mind (march was so far then!)....

and NOW: i can't even wait for freaking two weeks. sheesh. :p
Goodluck all :D

akimbo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2004
nunya
Status
chumpana said:
we had to start a countdown thread...

its been months since I interviewed, and I put the thought of getting a decision way outta mind (march was so far then!)....

and NOW: i can't even wait for freaking two weeks. sheesh. :p
Goodluck all :D
Uck! I'm with you. I was fine, JUST FINE, until we hit March. Now I want to pull a Rip Van Winkle until March 22nd. :rolleyes:

Its a loooooooooong shot anyway. Pretty surprised just to get an interview.

Mateodaspy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2004
Boston, MA
Status
I interviewed at Yale yesterday (I was the only one!).... and Mr. Silverman told me that everyone who interviewed at Yale will receive their initial decision by e-mail on March 22 (accept, reject, or waitlist).

Best of luck to everyone!

riverie

10+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2004
Houston, TX
Status
Attending Physician
GuyLaroche said:
Well, there goes my acceptance. Matt, must you interview EVERYWHERE!!!!
Yeah, seriously. I know only one other guy who's interviewed everywhere (and who will probably get in everywhere too.) On top of it, he's a 40 and a 4.0. Anyway, good job Mateodaspy. You're an inspiration for us all. ;)

Hmm my Yale fate will be sealed on the 22nd then, it seems. Blah, I am not anticipating good news. Don't really care though. I heart Baylor. :p

chumpana

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Status
GuyLaroche said:
Well, there goes my acceptance. Matt, must you interview EVERYWHERE!!!!

yeah matt, after looking at your profile all i can say is *%#@$-- WOW!!!
congrats man. that's amazing. I guess i feel really lucky to have interviewed at yale. maybe i'll slip through the cracks ;)

DianaLynne

Catwoman!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
Status
I certainly have a lot of emotion invested in Yale. It's certainly a top choice. Especially since I got my Harvard rejection this morning, my mom read it to me over the phone. I guess my little woman brain can't handle Harvard's science. I hope Yale is more in tune with all that is Diana.

By the way, does anyone know whether or not filling out financial aid info for Yale is any kind of factor in admission?

riverie

10+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2004
Houston, TX
Status
Attending Physician
DianaLynne said:
By the way, does anyone know whether or not filling out financial aid info for Yale is any kind of factor in admission?
i want to say no, they don't have a factor. but of course, how would i know for sure? the impression i got from Mr Silverman was that they wanted us to get the financial aid stuff in just so that they could start processing them early and get us our packages in time for us to make a decision. I don't think it should matter what our need is, b/c there are always loans to be taken and I'm sure Yale has a significant bounty from which to pull out scholarship money anyway.

Btw, I liked your Harvard vs. women in science reference. ;) guess they didn't like my brain either. :p

GuyLaroche

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Status
DianaLynne said:
I certainly have a lot of emotion invested in Yale. It's certainly a top choice. Especially since I got my Harvard rejection this morning, my mom read it to me over the phone. I guess my little woman brain can't handle Harvard's science. I hope Yale is more in tune with all that is Diana.

I don't recall seeing your contribution to my data collection. I am so sorry to hear of your Harvard rejection. Mine is to come tomorrow. In the meantime, please let me know if you were HST, NP or both and if you could log into the financial aid website. I am laughing at this pointless exercise as it is almost certainly confirmed by earlier reports. But still, indulge me.

superdevil

planning my escape
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2003
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
riverie said:
i want to say no, they don't have a factor. but of course, how would i know for sure? the impression i got from Mr Silverman was that they wanted us to get the financial aid stuff in just so that they could start processing them early and get us our packages in time for us to make a decision. I don't think it should matter what our need is, b/c there are always loans to be taken and I'm sure Yale has a significant bounty from which to pull out scholarship money anyway.
first, i don't think filling out financial aid is a factor in admission at all. i may have said this earlier in the thread, but i called their fin aid office last week to ensure that they had received all of my info--which was sent the week before. the person i spoke to said she didn't know because they "hadn't gone through any of their mail, yet" whatever that means. she also suggested that i call back in a week or two (i may call today if i have time). so, honestly, i don't even think they would know in time if you had filed your stuff or not in terms of deciding your admissions status. (i hope that's what diana was asking, anyway).

also, they said at the interview that they don't have any "scholarships" per se, so i don't really know what to expect from their fin aid office (should i have cause to expect anything :oops: ). i suppose they have grants, but how much and who receives them is a mystery to me.

ajt2003

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2004
Status
There are a lot of strange financial aid things happening at Yale. At least on the undergrad front - all to benefit students and help to defray costs. I know that, as a Yale undergrad, I received a LOT of aid - which was in the form of a Yale scholarship - but wasn't due to anything more than my need. I've heard that on the medical school front Yale is equally as generous, so here's hoping!

Hey, did you guys and gals (wink, wink Diana) receive an actual packet in the mail from Yale about financial aid? I only received what was given to me during the interview...perhaps they transitioned at some point during the interview season (I interviewed in late January)...or is this a bad sign? Sigh. I'm so sick of speculation!

Anyways, just wondering...

Oh, and I too don't think one's ability to complete financial aid forms in a timely manner will play into admission decisions at all.

superdevil

planning my escape
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2003
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
ajt2003 said:
Hey, did you guys and gals (wink, wink Diana) receive an actual packet in the mail from Yale about financial aid? I only received what was given to me during the interview...perhaps they transitioned at some point during the interview season (I interviewed in late January)...or is this a bad sign? Sigh. I'm so sick of speculation!
i, too, have heard of this alleged packet via mail and have yet to receive one (just have the one from the interview day). ack! we're doooooomed! :scared: :D

ajt2003

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2004
Status
superdevil said:
i, too, have heard of this alleged packet via mail and have yet to receive one (just have the one from the interview day). ack! we're doooooomed! :scared: :D
No! Never!

You interviewed exactly one week after me, yes? So, let's just both assume that the same financial aid packet that was mailed to the others was just given to us! And that Yale decided, sometime in late January, that this was simply a more efficient and cost-effective practice.

*backs away slowly from issue to preserve last shred of self-worth*

VeggieGal

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2004
Status
you guys are being a little too neurotic. i interviewed on january 3rd. that was the first day the packets were available to interviewees. it wasn't more cost-effective, you aren't rejected/accepted if you didn't/did get one. it was just that they were not ready for 2005 yet. when they were ready, mr. silverman wanted us to have them as soon as possible. if you interviewed before then, they sent them to you in the mail when they were ready. hence, the different modes of receiving them.

don't expect anything else in the mail from yale about financial aid if you got the packet at the interview.

superdevil

planning my escape
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2003
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
VeggieGal said:
you guys are being a little too neurotic. i interviewed on january 3rd. that was the first day the packets were available to interviewees. it wasn't more cost-effective, you aren't rejected/accepted if you didn't/did get one. it was just that they were not ready for 2005 yet. when they were ready, mr. silverman wanted us to have them as soon as possible. if you interviewed before then, they sent them to you in the mail when they were ready. hence, the different modes of receiving them.

don't expect anything else in the mail from yale about financial aid if you got the packet at the interview.
and you're being a little too serious. we were only kidding; in part paying homage to the hilarious harvard threads where every move harvard made was over-analyzed, and in part, just being silly on a friday. ;) :)

ajt2003

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2004
Status
VeggieGal said:

Hey! We were only fooling...but, it's nice to know that we were right. ;)

And, thanks for the info...I agree with SD - it's Friday, blowing off steam, making fun of the recent string of harvardcolumbiaduke threads. My job has become a huge pain the arse, and SDN is my sole outlet. Please don't take that away from me! Please?!

tommerbommer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2004
Status
DianaLynne said:
Hey Diana! I met you at the Yale interview day. I am also an older student - white guy, live in San Francisco, work for a computer company; my interview lasted forever...ringing any bells? Remember that totally hyper, unfiltered New York guy that gave us the tour? I liked that kid.

Anyway, Yale probably remains my top choice school and the wait is freaking killing me. I got (or, I should say, my parents got) my rejection from Harvard yesterday too (and, for the record, I have NO idea whether or not I could log into anything at any point) despite my HUGE man's brain. That place was dead anyway.

akimbo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2004
nunya
Status
tommerbommer said:
Hey Diana! I met you at the Yale interview day. I am also an older student - white guy, live in San Francisco, work for a computer company; my interview lasted forever...ringing any bells? Remember that totally hyper, unfiltered New York guy that gave us the tour? I liked that kid.

Anyway, Yale probably remains my top choice school and the wait is freaking killing me. I got (or, I should say, my parents got) my rejection from Harvard yesterday too (and, for the record, I have NO idea whether or not I could log into anything at any point) despite my HUGE man's brain. That place was dead anyway.
Not to hijack, but I'm yet another non-traditional, and I find the Yale system wicked attractive. I'm wondering if the independence they give students is a particular draw for an older student. Or maybe that's just me. I know some schools I visited gave off this paternalistic vibe which just totally turned me off.

(And I think what Larry meant was that we CAN be doctors, we're just not as likely to be very good ones. Thanks, Larry!)

chumpana

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Status
akimbo said:
Not to hijack, but I'm yet another non-traditional, and I find the Yale system wicked attractive. I'm wondering if the independence they give students is a particular draw for an older student. Or maybe that's just me. I know some schools I visited gave off this paternalistic vibe which just totally turned me off.

(And I think what Larry meant was that we CAN be doctors, we're just not as likely to be very good ones. Thanks, Larry!)

i know yale likes non-traditionals; they're more "mature"...and that fits with the Yale system (which i also :love: )

tommerbommer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2004
Status
chumpana said:
i know yale likes non-traditionals; they're more "mature"...and that fits with the Yale system (which i also :love: )
How dare you call me mature! I may be old but mature? No way.

tommerbommer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2004
Status
akimbo said:
I'm fundamentally against using the word wicked to refer to anything other than evil, but I too love Yale's system. After spending the last two years working full time and concurrently motivating myself to take orgo and physics and study for the MCATs, I have become quite an independent and self-motivated learner. Although I do believe it would be possible to fall off the grid at Yale, I don't worry about that happening to me at this point in my life. The truth is, I want to study this stuff. I actually [gulp] enjoy it.

GuyLaroche

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Status
All of my life, my humanity, my throbbing, beating heart, red, hot blood gushing through my veins, all that makes me a viable, countable entity was nullified in three badly formed paragraphs culminating in the stamped signature of the dean of admissions at Harvard. I was rejected and therefore I am not.

"We regret to inform you...," the letter began. Those are the very same words that should have escaped the lips of the doctor that announced my birth. For now, I wish I had never been born... or some such theatrics.

In truth, I feel like pizza.

superdevil

planning my escape
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2003
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
GuyLaroche said:
All of my life, my humanity, my throbbing, beating heart, red, hot blood gushing through my veins, all that makes me a viable, countable entity was nullified in three badly formed paragraphs culminating in the stamped signature of the dean of admissions at Harvard. I was rejected and therefore I am not.

"We regret to inform you...," the letter began. Those are the very same words that should have escaped the lips of the doctor that announced my birth. For now, I wish I had never been born... or some such theatrics.

pizza doth indeed refresh thy battered soul. are you still optimistic about yale? or did harvard leave you too jaded to care? ;)

in related news, i'm absolutely positive yale will not accept me.

tommerbommer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2004
Status
GuyLaroche said:

New Haven has AMAZING pizza.

chumpana

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Status
tommerbommer said:
How dare you call me mature! I may be old but mature? No way.
:laugh:

I think the let the immature non-trads in too ;)

shiznits. so if at times i'm young and mature, i'm a REAL bad combo eh?

Continuing with the news... i doubt i'll get accepted; if that ever occurs, it will be through the miracle of the waitlist
(you'd think that would make me less anxious for march 22nd)

chumpana

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Status
tommerbommer said:
New Haven has AMAZING pizza.
ohhh yeah. try sally's and pepe's....
and if you're daring "mashed potato pizza"; sounds gross but apparently its amazing :D

scootad.

15+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2001
Visit site
Status
ha! thats true! I was shocked to eat that during my residency interview dinner there!

still - potatoes on pizza, yuk!

chlorineK

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2005
Status
A little over a week left to wait! My nerves are much more calm now than before the duke/columbia decisions came out, which is great. But I LOVE Yale, so here's hoping!

ajt2003

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2004
Status
chlorineK said:
A little over a week left to wait! My nerves are much more calm now than before the duke/columbia decisions came out, which is great. But I LOVE Yale, so here's hoping!

Boola, boola! And you know the best part?! They're going to EMAIL us our notification - EMAIL! Now we'll only have to obessively check our inboxes ONE day as opposed to stalking our mailpeople for the entire week. Thank God. Good luck all!

arraysyn

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2005
Status
are all the decisions--no matter acceptance, waitlist or rejection-will be sent out at the same day?

sockandmittens

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2004
Status
I have been under the impression that everything may be mailed at the same time, but that acceptances only are sent over email on the 22nd. oui?

ajt2003

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2004
Status
sockandmittens said:
I have been under the impression that everything may be mailed at the same time, but that acceptances only are sent over email on the 22nd. oui?
Mateodaspy, I think, posted that all decisions will be emailed out on the 22nd. So, regardless, we should know. I think it was Mateodaspy. Perhaps not. Someone did.

DianaLynne

Catwoman!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
Status
tommerbommer said:

Yeah, I remember you! I too am going crazy. Thanks everyone for the info about financial aid. I'm at the point right now that the last thing I want to do is fill in another form unless I need to. especially since my mom won't have had her taxes done for a while. (First year I've had mine done in January though!)

At Harvard, to answer an old question posed of me, I was just applying to their regular ol' MD program, whatever they call that. I've blocked most of Harvard from my mind anyway. Or maybe I just can't remember, duhh..... Me woman, me not know no math stuff. Can I do some laundry for you, Dr. Summers? (No, I'm not ticked off at that...)