Counted on program to get early SLOE - it closed shop this week. Now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CopToEM

Livin' the Dream
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying AOA. I had an audition setup at a community EM program in two weeks and hoped to get an SLOE out of it pretty early on in this fall season. My next two auditions are scheduled for Oct-Nov and Nov-Dec respectively. I'll ask for SLOEs at both of those but obviously it will be a little later in the game.

I found out this week, however, that the community-based program I was interested in is closing. I'm hopeful I'll pull an audition out of my hat this coming week to replace it but, if I don't, will not having an SLOE until Nov/Dec be a huge deal? I'm not sure how early on programs expect them in order to start fleshing out their rank list. I also fully realize this could be program specific.

Members don't see this ad.

Which program is this out of curiousity?

A lot of DO programs have begun their transition and will want SLOE's. However, I don't think it's the majority yet. The more pressing issue is your lack of auditions before interviews. It's definitely in your best interest to lock up an EM rotation for next month, even if it is at a program with no residency. You could also try getting a Tox or ultrasound rotation, although those won't count for much when compared to a regular EM rotation. Hope it works out.

Members don't see this ad :)
SOMC has confirmed closing. Other rumors circulating regarding other smaller programs, but can't comment on the validity of those. You need a sloe before nov/dec and the only way to get that is to do an audition asap. You may be able to set up something thru VSAS, or just cold call/email every DO program. If you are only going DO, then a DO sloe is fine and there should be lots of options for availability next month, just be careful that you aren't going to another small program that has risk of closing.

If you are 100% going EM, then it wouldn't even hurt to cold call all the MD EM programs just to try and get a letter.

Reactions: 1 user
SOMC has confirmed closing. Other rumors circulating regarding other smaller programs, but can't comment on the validity of those. You need a sloe before nov/dec and the only way to get that is to do an audition asap. You may be able to set up something thru VSAS, or just cold call/email every DO program. If you are only going DO, then a DO sloe is fine and there should be lots of options for availability next month, just be careful that you aren't going to another small program that has risk of closing.

If you are 100% going EM, then it wouldn't even hurt to cold call all the MD EM programs just to try and get a letter.

For those of us not too familiar with AOA EM programs, where is SOMC?

Thanks for the info. Did the residency actually close or is it just going to stop accepting applicants? If the former, any idea what's happening with their current residents?

I hope they are just slowly phasing out but if they were to close Ohio and Michigan have enough EM residencies to hopefully take them in.

Thanks for the info. Did the residency actually close or is it just going to stop accepting applicants? If the former, any idea what's happening with their current residents?
Stop taking residents with the intention of graduating their existing ones (my understanding of the publication they made).

I hope they are just slowly phasing out but if they were to close Ohio and Michigan have enough EM residencies to hopefully take them in.

Hopefully but factor in the competitiveness of EM. My understanding, at least in Ohio and Mich, there are increasingly many more applicants per spot with every application cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm applying AOA. I had an audition setup at a community EM program in two weeks and hoped to get an SLOE out of it pretty early on in this fall season. My next two auditions are scheduled for Oct-Nov and Nov-Dec respectively. I'll ask for SLOEs at both of those but obviously it will be a little later in the game.

I found out this week, however, that the community-based program I was interested in is closing. I'm hopeful I'll pull an audition out of my hat this coming week to replace it but, if I don't, will not having an SLOE until Nov/Dec be a huge deal? I'm not sure how early on programs expect them in order to start fleshing out their rank list. I also fully realize this could be program specific.

Which program is this, and, based on another thread you posted in, which others are rumored to be closing?

Which program is this, and, based on another thread you posted in, which others are rumored to be closing?

I've done two EM rotations - one during third year at a community hospital and one this month (our "required emergency medicine" rotation) at my CORE site which is a tertiary trauma center. I have EM letters - it's just the SLOE that has me between a rock and a hard place now. As above SOMC is phasing out their GME program. Obviously they cancelled every audition for this year as a result. Unfortunately for the group I was in this left us without an audition two weeks prior to the start date.

I've called at least a dozen programs and still don't have anything concrete to start next month. So I basically have a week to land a spot and find housing. The month after that I have a mandatory rural care rotation for our curriculum. Then the Oct-Nov and Nov-Dec auditions I mentioned. I hate that SOMC put me in this position but it is what it is. St. Luke's AOA program is dually accredited but they are only participating in the ACGME side this year and throwing in the towel on the AOA side. St. Joseph's is rumored to be planning the same.

From nothing to choices. Had three AOA programs pull through and offer me a spot for next month. Didn't think it was possible on such short notice.

Reactions: 2 users
I've done two EM rotations - one during third year at a community hospital and one this month (our "required emergency medicine" rotation) at my CORE site which is a tertiary trauma center. I have EM letters - it's just the SLOE that has me between a rock and a hard place now. As above SOMC is phasing out their GME program. Obviously they cancelled every audition for this year as a result. Unfortunately for the group I was in this left us without an audition two weeks prior to the start date.

I've called at least a dozen programs and still don't have anything concrete to start next month. So I basically have a week to land a spot and find housing. The month after that I have a mandatory rural care rotation for our curriculum. Then the Oct-Nov and Nov-Dec auditions I mentioned. I hate that SOMC put me in this position but it is what it is. St. Luke's AOA program is dually accredited but they are only participating in the ACGME side this year and throwing in the towel on the AOA side. St. Joseph's is rumored to be planning the same.

Why can't you get a SLOE from your core site EM rotation? You would at least have one prior to November.

Why can't you get a SLOE from your core site EM rotation? You would at least have one prior to November.

No EM residency program associated with my CORE hospital system. CORD stipulates that the SLOE must be filled out by an attending at a residency program as far as I'm aware?

Luckily I pulled off the impossible and found an audition for next month so I should have one mid-September or so.