Counting clinical volunteer hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EdgeTrimmer

Probationary Status
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you count direct patient contact hours only or you can include administrative hours also? My son did a public health survey in another country. part of the time they spent interview teenagers and rest of the time coming up with survey questions and analyzing the data and finally generating a report (it's like half and half over 6 weeks). Can he show all 6 weeks (240 hrs) as clinical volunteering? Planning to apply next year.

Members don't see this ad.

The public health project would be nonclinical volunteering I think. Unless the teenagers are patients and it was in a clinical setting.

Reactions: 1 user
The public health project would be nonclinical volunteering I think. Unless the teenagers are patients and it was in a clinical setting.
Public health project is thru a clinic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Were these patients? Was clinical service to patients involved in the volunteering? If no and no, this may be non-clinical volunteering. That is was in another country lends another layer of "not clinical" to the mix given that the purpose of clinical experience is to have an idea of the environment in which clinicians work providing clinical care to patients. The clinical environment abroad is different than in the US and one can't generalize about US clinical care based on experience acquired in another country.

Imagine still being this involved in an adult sons education

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Imagine still being this involved in an adult sons education
What's wrong with that? He is busy with his activities and whenever he seeks advise I will post here. Also, as soon you become an adult you don't become an expert :) For the record he is 19 only. BTW, I also help lot of kids (online and friends kids) for UG admissions and BSMD admissions (for free).

Isn’t everybody busy with their activities? Not being sarcastic but how long would it take him to post about it? 5 minutes? Just wondering

Reactions: 3 users
Isn’t everybody busy with their activities? Not being sarcastic but how long would it take him to post about it? 5 minutes? Just wondering
If you have time questioning a parent asking questions, you are not busy with your activities :) Yes, it takes 5 minutes to post but have to keep up with all the responses and he would rather outsource it to me and I don't mind doing it.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Well you could always look up voluntourism and see what that means to a med school application. Just hope that what your son has done is even considered for US med school applications. His volunteering should be in the US serving people in need. What your son did sounds like a class he took.

Last edited:
Well you could always look up volunteerism and see what that means to a med school application. Just hope that what your son has done is even considered for US med school applications. His volunteering should be in the US serving people in need. What your son did sounds like a class he took.
It is not a class, it's a 6 week immersion/service project abroad thru school . He is also doing both clinical and non-clinical volunteering in US .

Were these patients? Was clinical service to patients involved in the volunteering? If no and no, this may be non-clinical volunteering. That is was in another country lends another layer of "not clinical" to the mix given that the purpose of clinical experience is to have an idea of the environment in which clinicians work providing clinical care to patients. The clinical environment abroad is different than in the US and one can't generalize about US clinical care based on experience acquired in another country.
@LizzyM - These are the patients that are linked to a public clinic. No service was provided. It's a a sex education survery and teenagers, parents, grand parents and educators were interviewed and a report was prepared and submitted to health ministry in that country.

@LizzyM - These are the patients that are linked to a public clinic. No service was provided. It's a a sex education survery and teenagers, parents, grand parents and educators were interviewed and a report was prepared and submitted to health ministry in that country.

It is public health or health education but not not linked to delivery of clinical services so I'd say it is not clinical volunteering.

Reactions: 3 users