Countries with easiest process/reciprocity to practice in if relocating from US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quickpsych

Clinical Psychologist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Exploratory at this point, but wife and I have talked over past year or two about considering moving to another, preferably English speaking country. I've often heard of New Zealand and Canada as being some of the best options (and read that New Zealand actually has a preference for college educated "in demand" professionals when approving applications to live and work there - last check psychologists were one of those).

Are there other countries that come to mind? Ones where a US licensed psychologist trained and educated in APA accredited program in US, could move to without needing a new education or new supervised experience prior to license application in the other country?

Members don't see this ad.

Last I heard, there is still a clear preference given to Canadian applicants. However, if there is a position that they are having a hard timing finding a good fit, than it can be filled by a U.S./other applicant.

The few times I’ve been recruited for a faculty position in Canada, they’ve always told me the position was open to outside applicants bc of the requirements. One was specific for someone doing TBI research and was an open tenure-track; this made the most sense bc it had some pretty specific requirements about the type of research, class load, & training commitments. The others were all assistant or associate level positions open in regard to research topics, but required the person to teach assessment classes and mentor students in training. All had a speciality requirements, but only one was very niche, the rest were pretty open as faculty positions go.

Australia is pretty open to US-trained ppl. A friend relocated her family there (~10yrs ago) to take a faculty position. The licensing took 4-6mon bc they were very picky about the classes taken (she had to have copies of the syllabi for a bunch of classes), but coming from an APA acred program covered the class requirements.

The best advice is to get fully trained and licensed in the USA before looking. Ideally have 3-5+ yrs of licensure bc then you’d be established, but that’s just my 2 cents. Most countries aren’t as strict about training requirements, so repeating training stuff is less of a concern usually. Going from a foreign training program and moving to the USA is a giant hassle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If you’re looking for an easy break, just take one of those NZ positions advertised in the monitor.

Anytime you start a new business, you’re going to have several years of lower income. Most EU countries take 2-4MM.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you’re looking for an easy break, just take one of those NZ positions advertised in the monitor.

Anytime you start a new business, you’re going to have several years of lower income. Most EU countries take 2-4MM.
I haven't heard of or seen these NZ positions in the monitor, what are they?

Last I heard, there is still a clear preference given to Canadian applicants. However, if there is a position that they are having a hard timing finding a good fit, than it can be filled by a U.S./other applicant.

The few times I’ve been recruited for a faculty position in Canada, they’ve always told me the position was open to outside applicants bc of the requirements. One was specific for someone doing TBI research and was an open tenure-track; this made the most sense bc it had some pretty specific requirements about the type of research, class load, & training commitments. The others were all assistant or associate level positions open in regard to research topics, but required the person to teach assessment classes and mentor students in training. All had a speciality requirements, but only one was very niche, the rest were pretty open as faculty positions go.

Australia is pretty open to US-trained ppl. A friend relocated her family there (~10yrs ago) to take a faculty position. The licensing took 4-6mon bc they were very picky about the classes taken (she had to have copies of the syllabi for a bunch of classes), but coming from an APA acred program covered the class requirements.

The best advice is to get fully trained and licensed in the USA before looking. Ideally have 3-5+ yrs of licensure bc then you’d be established, but that’s just my 2 cents. Most countries aren’t as strict about training requirements, so repeating training stuff is less of a concern usually. Going from a foreign training program and moving to the USA is a giant hassle.
Thanks much appreciated. I've been licensed about a year so far in US.

I haven't heard of or seen these NZ positions in the monitor, what are they?

Thanks much appreciated. I've been licensed about a year so far in US.

I haven't seen them in a while, but I'm not looking at the jobs ads anymore.

To answer your question: I'm guessing clinical psychologist jobs in New Zealand? Maybe something to do with hobbits?

A brief googling says they are still hiring USA psychologists.

Be aware that Australia and New Zealand (and to a considerably lesser extent, Canada) have extremely strict health/medical requirements for immigrating, so many pre-existing conditions, even relatively minor ones, could automatically disqualify you for a visa of any kind there. Have you checked if you qualify for citzenship by descent anywhere? Some EU countries have relatively broad citizenship by descent requirements (Italy, Germany, and Hungary all come to mind, as does Ireland if you have a parent or grandparent who was born there). EU citizenship is nice because it allows you to move, work, and live anywhere in the EU (and mostly the EEA) without any visa restrictions or processes at all.

Reactions: 2 users
Considering the similarity in training, and that the APPIC process is shared, Canada is the "easiest" choice. However, I am going to echo @futureapppsy2 - check immigration requirements because some things are pretty specific, especially around medical stuff. Once you get a job offer, things become much easier, and they also offer working/study permits for partners and children (if you have them).
Universities seem very open to US trained psychologists, and I am guessing most clinical jobs as well - there isn't (yet) an inflation of diploma mill programs, so there is a lot of demand in the field. You can message me if you want more specifics, I am currently in Canada.

I don't know as much about NZ, but in Europe the standards of training are somewhat lower for most countries and many are willing to equivalate your study if you have good language skills and pass their ethics exams. The UK has a more cumbersome process, but I've seen people make the switch. Usually trying to move into US or Canada with foreign training is the more difficult path.