1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

couple of gen chem questions

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by vixen, Aug 7, 2002.

1. vixen

vixen I like members
    10+ Year Member

I don't know...I thought these ones were tough....so I circled them and decided to post.....I went over their explanations a few times also, and was hoping to get a better understanding....

1) Neon gas can diffuse through a particular 8meter thick porous barrier in 5 mins. How many minutes would it take nitrogen to diffuese through this same barrier?

A) square root of (28/20)8^5^2
    B) square root of (28/20)5^2 <--------- ANSWER
    C) square root of (20/28)8^2

im not put up the rest of the choices....here' s a clue though, it has to do w/the equation 1/2 mv^2 and the equation v=d/t

2) In a saturated sol'n of Magnesium hydroxide, the conc of OH ions is 2.4 x 10^-4.

Mg(OH)2 (s)<=======>Mg2+ (aq) + 2OH- (aq)

What is the Ksp?

the answer is (1/2)(2.4 x 10^-4)^3

3) What is the molar solubility of silver chloride in a 0.1M sol'n of sodium chloride, given that the Ksp for silver chloride is 1.6 x 10^-10?

AgCl (s) <====> Ag+ (aq) + Cl- (aq)

THe answer is 1.6 x 10^-9. I thought this one was tough....here's a clue, that sodium chloride ADDITION makes a difference ;)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. vixen

vixen I like members
    10+ Year Member

4. bres

bres Member
    7+ Year Member

1) Neon gas can diffuse through a particular 8meter thick porous barrier in 5 mins. How many minutes would it take nitrogen to diffuese through this same barrier?

A) square root of (28/20)8^5^2
    B) square root of (28/20)5^2 <--------- ANSWER
    C) square root of (20/28)8^2

Solution::According to the kinetic molecular theory of gases, the average kinetic evergy of a gas particle is proportional to the absolute temperature. KE=1/2mv2=3/2kT. Upon the assumption of same temperature, both gases will have same KE.
    So....let neon gas(mw:20)=a and nitroge(mw:28)=b. From the relationship, 1/2ma(8/5)^2=1/2mb(vb)^2. (8meter/5min=velocity for a). If above equation being simplified, vb=(ma/mb)^(1/2)*(8/5). But we want the time taken. Distance/velocity(speed)=time. Therefore, 8meter/(vb)=answer. If you plug vb in 8/vb and rearrange it, I believe you get the answer (b).

2) In a saturated sol'n of Magnesium hydroxide, the conc of OH ions is 2.4 x 10^-4.

Mg(OH)2 (s)<=======>Mg2+ (aq) + 2OH- (aq)

the answer is (1/2)(2.4 x 10^-4)^3

write down ksp equation first. ksp=[Mg2+]*[OH-]^2. But remember when the reaction ratio of [Mg2+]:[OH-]=1:2 by looking at the constants in front of those reactants.
    So [OH]=2.4 x 10^-4 reacts with concentration of Mg2+, which is 1/2(2.4 x 10^-4). Plug the concentration of [OH] and [Mg2+] into ksp equation. then you will get the answer.

3) What is the molar solubility of silver chloride in a 0.1M sol'n of sodium chloride, given that the Ksp for silver chloride is 1.6 x 10^-10?

AgCl (s) <====> Ag+ (aq) + Cl- (aq)

THe answer is 1.6 x 10^-9.

this one is not as hard as you think. VERY VERY SIMPLE~~~
    This problem is about common ion effect in ksp. What's common ion. You already have some ions, associated with one of products or reactants in the reaction (here, Cl-). Cl- from AgCl and Cl- from KCl. The solution has the Cl- ion in common from different sources.

Back to the problem I believe you know how to get solubility when only the reaction and ksp are given. Ksp=[Ag-][Cl-]= when s=solubility. But in this question there are Cl- comming from another source(which already in the solution). In the solution, it already contains 0.1M of KCl, which is [K+]=0.1M [Cl-]=0.1M. Therefore, the Ksp becomes ksp=[0.1+s]=1.6 x 10^-10. But here goes the fun part. You can solve this equation s^2+0.1s- 1.6 x 10^-10=0 to get s. You have time for this ugly equation?? nono...When you carefully observe the from any type of ksp reaction, you find it will be usually less than 10^-4 or 5. So, you just assume 0.1+s=0.1. for example, 0.1+0.00001=0.10001. 0.00001 out of 0.1M is just a tiny number. So just ignore 0.00001. The equation becomes ksp=[0.1+s]~[0.1]=1.6 x 10^-10. Answer s=1.6 x 10^-9. YOU SHOULD BE able to get this answer without any caculation....easy..huh? tip: I have never seen common ion effect problem (like this) which requires to solve ugly #s^2+#s+...equation, even in advanced analytical chemistry from my undergrad...so...just ignore and assume [0.1+s]=[0.1]. S is way way smaller than 0.1M even 0.01M, 0.001M

5. vixen

vixen I like members
    10+ Year Member

thank you bres!!! :)