Couple of questions about submitting letters of recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdk5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My primary app was just submitted to schools a couple of days ago and now I'm getting the requests from the schools to fill out their secondary apps. I am going to submit my letters of recommendation in the next couple of days (two from science professors, one from a non-science professor, and one from a D.O. physician), but a couple of the e-mail requests gave me pause. Some of the e-mail requests state that I need to have my letter writers directly mail their letters to the schools, and some of them also state that my AACOMAS ID# needs to appear somewhere in the letter. I had my letter writers submit their letters back in June and July and had them sent directly to Interfolio as confidential letters, because I thought that every school accepts this. Am I wrong about this? I can't really go back to my letter writers now and ask them to a) submit their letters directly to individual schools, if they even still have the letters or b) add my AACOMAS ID # to the body of the letter.

Also, as I mentioned above, I have four letters (three from professors and one from a D.O. physician). Is it okay to send all four letters to each of the schools or do I need to stick to the requirements of each individual school?

Any help would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

My primary app was just submitted to schools a couple of days ago and now I'm getting the requests from the schools to fill out their secondary apps. I am going to submit my letters of recommendation in the next couple of days (two from science professors, one from a non-science professor, and one from a D.O. physician), but a couple of the e-mail requests gave me pause. Some of the e-mail requests state that I need to have my letter writers directly mail their letters to the schools, and some of them also state that my AACOMAS ID# needs to appear somewhere in the letter. I had my letter writers submit their letters back in June and July and had them sent directly to Interfolio as confidential letters, because I thought that every school accepts this. Am I wrong about this? I can't really go back to my letter writers now and ask them to a) submit their letters directly to individual schools, if they even still have the letters or b) add my AACOMAS ID # to the body of the letter.

Also, as I mentioned above, I have four letters (three from professors and one from a D.O. physician). Is it okay to send all four letters to each of the schools or do I need to stick to the requirements of each individual school?

Any help would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks!

Lots of people use Interfolio. It's fine and widely accepted. As far as adding your ID#, there's an option on Interfolio to add your AACOMAS ID# to the cover letter.

Lots of people use Interfolio. It's fine and widely accepted. As far as adding your ID#, there's an option on Interfolio to add your AACOMAS ID# to the cover letter.

Thanks DrWily. I have a couple of more questions if I may. Do you know if I am allowed to send all four of my letters to schools that request only two or three, or do I have to look closely at each school's individual requirements and send only the letters requested? Also, if a school says that they only require LORs if selected for an interview, can I send them now anyway, just to get them out of the way?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks DrWily. I have a couple of more questions if I may. Do you know if I am allowed to send all four of my letters to schools that request only two or three, or do I have to look closely at each school's individual requirements and send only the letters requested? Also, if a school says that they only require LORs if selected for an interview, can I send them now anyway, just to get them out of the way?

Thanks.

Really up to you. I'd probably just send the 2 sciences and 1 DO letter to all of them. You can send the letters to LECOM if you want to, it won't hurt you. Just be sure to only submit your LORs to schools that have sent you a secondary though.

Wow, you just submitted? Or you were just verified. Most schools will throw out any LORs they don't ask for.

Thanks. Sorry I meant just verified as of last week. I have most of my secondaries completed so I can send them in as soon as I receive requests to complete them. I hope I'm not too late. I think that I have a solid application with very compelling soft factors.

Really up to you. I'd probably just send the 2 sciences and 1 DO letter to all of them. You can send the letters to LECOM if you want to, it won't hurt you. Just be sure to only submit your LORs to schools that have sent you a secondary though.

Thanks DrWily. Where does LECOM come in, however? I'm confused. Does LECOM not require a secondary? And will all the secondaries come via e-mail? I've only gotten about half so far but I assume I will be getting the rest in the next week or so.

Thanks DrWily. Where does LECOM come in, however? I'm confused. Does LECOM not require a secondary? And will all the secondaries come via e-mail? I've only gotten about half so far but I assume I will be getting the rest in the next week or so.

I think all the secondaries come via email... so just sit tight as they steadily come into your inbox. LECOM does require a secondary but it's just a quick 10 second thing. There's no essay or anything.

LECOM does not require you send LORs with the secondary, but if you get an invite... you have to send them by the interview date.

Sorry, when you mentioned schools that don't require letters until invited for an interview, I immediately assumed LECOM. I don't know of any other schools who do this.