Couple of Questions.. Please Answer!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocInProgress

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, this is my situation.
I just recently took the June MCAT and I am really not sure how well I did.
So,
1. If I did do poorly, should I take it again in August and then send out the secondaries? or should I just send the secondaries right now?
2. Is there a way to cancel the application, I know it is non-refundable but can it be cancelled as well? Is withdrawing after primary app considered cancelling?
3. If cancelling is possible, would I be better off taking the Jan 08 MCAT and applying then or will retaking in August be an issue?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, this is my situation.
I just recently took the June MCAT and I am really not sure how well I did.
So,
1. If I did do poorly, should I take it again in August and then send out the secondaries? or should I just send the secondaries right now?
2. Is there a way to cancel the application, I know it is non-refundable but can it be cancelled as well? Is withdrawing after primary app considered cancelling?
3. If cancelling is possible, would I be better off taking the Jan 08 MCAT and applying then or will retaking in August be an issue?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

1. I'm assuming you've already submitted your primary. Thus, there's no sense in waiting to submit your secondaries. You won't be considered complete until your MCAT scores are in. The limiting factor in when your AMCAS is reviewed will be your MCAT score, so it doesn't matter when you submit your secondaries as long as it's before your MCAT scores are in.

2. You can't "cancel" the application. When you hit "submit" on AMCAS, you're in it for good.

3. Since cancelling is not possible, you're better off maximizing your chances this cycle. If you feel you can improve your score by taking it August, then do it then.

I second what ADeadLouis just said. Make sure you let the schools that you are applying to know that you are retaking the MCAT if the first one turns out poorly. That way they won't automatically screen you out based on the first scores.

First see how well you did on your June MCAT. If you get 30 or above, don't retake it. If you get 28-30, you'll have some hard thinking to do. If you feel that you will be able to dedicate more time to the August one, then retake it. If you are uncertain of this, or feel you will be more busy, then don't retake it. The upside of being an early applicant is that you will be more likely to be accepted. Waiting longer in the cycle can sometimes be a death wish depending on how your stats add up, but I have known people who were accepted late.

Also, if the secondary fee is amazingly high, this is usually a warning that the school is very selective and you should think about actually filling it out. If your stats match up to their current students' stats, then apply to that school. If they don't, don't waste your money.