Couple of questions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobby66

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right now I'm a junior in accounting at SFSU (CSU school) but I'm really considering switching because I'm completely apathetic to the subject. Pharmacy on the other hand is something I'm actually interested in, and with some clarification could be something worth working for to me. Problem is though I can't really afford to move to another city/state because I'm needed at home/parent's workplace constantly and the only one in my city is one of the more competitive schools, UCSF. (Though if the city isn't that far away I could probably drive there everyday.)

So I'm just wondering if things like a BSc, high PCAT score, and the like factor in admission to a school that don't require them? Would it be realistic to just try to get into one school? Probably not, but I'd like some input from those with more experience.

Members don't see this ad.

I may be wrong here, but I don't think they will care about your PCAT. Next, it is almost an unspoken rule that you will need a Bachelors. Most who enter have them, so if you want to be competitive you will need one also. Finally, the only way you will stand out would be the use of EC's. Well anyways they mention all this on their website. Heres the Link.
http://pharmacy.ucsf.edu/pharmd/aboutstudents/

its hard to find schools that dont look at those stats....but a couple of things :

1. They will prolly ask why u didnt finish ur BS when ur a Jr already

2. It can be hard, from me looking back, to take in what ur saying about cant move out b/c ur needed at parents workplace b/c that can show doubt in interviewer about ur ability to stay in and focus...just saying, might have better wording and convincing evidence that u can still get ur schooling done

3. Its not realist to just aim for 1 school, but do-able, b/c I only applied to 1 school and got in, w/o great PCAT score, but alotta schooling and resume power. i had taken PCAT 4 times and retook many classes to bump up gpa

4. if UCSF is where u wanna go, call them up and ask pharmacy advisor about ur chances with ur stats and ask if its worth pursuing. if you think of it from a monetary stand point, all ur risking is: cost of PCAT, app fee, and ur time

Members don't see this ad :)
I would advise that you do some serious research before switching to pharmacy. See my thread called "if you have not yet done this". Its long but there are some good links etc that will show you the current market for pharmacy students. I'm in my second year and things are looking bleak. Just my two cents tho

I would advise that you do some serious research before switching to pharmacy. See my thread called "if you have not yet done this". Its long but there are some good links etc that will show you the current market for pharmacy students. I'm in my second year and things are looking bleak. Just my two cents tho
Please limit your fear mongering to your own thread.

One more question, would a BSc in Biochemistry or Biology be more marketable in terms of finding a job? I know this is a Pre-Pharmacy forum but I just thought I'd ask.

One more question, would a BSc in Biochemistry or Biology be more marketable in terms of finding a job? I know this is a Pre-Pharmacy forum but I just thought I'd ask.
To be honest neither degree can get you many offers.