SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Couple of Undergraduate Questions...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by FLY, May 1, 2002.

1. FLY

FLY Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Umd-College Park
    1)I was thinking about getting certified as a Nursing Assistant at this Community College, so the class names that are like NUS 103 and stuff count towards my overall gpa.?

2) My overall GPA is 3.5ish and I haven't picked my major yet, I am still torn between B.S. in Biological & Life Sciences and B.S. in Biochemistry.

If I do Bio, only 3 required classes that I have left aside from P-med requirements are Genetics, Biochem and Microbio and I have time to play around with all the other classes like Physiology, Botany and stuff and have a lot of freedom and graduate (May 2004) whenever I want to. I could easily pull of a minor in ECON too.

I kinda wanna do biochem b/c I like Organic Chemistry, seems like it was a match made in heaven something I am acing through organic. If I do Biochem, it would take a lot of time since I might have to do a extra semester and graduate in Dec 2004. Plus I have to put in 6 more BioChem courses on top of Intro.BChem and I could only start taking them after I take Orgo II next Fall. I kind of want to do BioChem b/c it will help me in Med School if I want to compete for a better residency whatever. But I have to take Physical Chem and couple of other stupid chemistry classes.

So which one would be better,
    B.S. in Biological & Life Sciences with a minor in Economics with a 3.5-3.6 overall GPA..
    or,
    B.S. in Biochemistry with 3.3-3.4 overall GPA

(Sorry, it seems like I am asking a lot of questions and stuff, well its b/c I don't know that many answers.)

Thanks in advance...

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen 10+ Year Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Hospital
    if you take community college classes, they go on your transcript for applying to med school

i took an EMT class. it added 7 credits of A to my transcript!!!! oh yeah.

4. FLY

Oct 1, 2001
    Umd-College Park
    That is so cool...

5. I would go with the Bio major. Your GPA is going to be better and that is key. Besides, biochem and genetics will be much help when it comes to studying for the MCATs. Minors are not a big deal when it comes to adcoms. Make sure to take some writing classes. Most schools now want atleast 6 credits in writing.

Good Luck. :)

6. sternrower

sternrower Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    FLY,

I had a similar problem...I loved organic, but I wanted to avoid those "stupid chemistry classes" also. What I ended up doing was taking the BS in bio and then a minor in BCHEM. I only took the BCHEM classes I was interested in and avoided PCHEM, Instrumental, Analytical, etc. It's important to take classes you'll like, or else you'll be miserable...

sternrower

7. Doctora Foxy

Doctora Foxy Meow 7+ Year Member

Jan 28, 2002
    1)I was thinking about getting certified as a Nursing Assistant at this Community College, so the class names that are like NUS 103 and stuff count towards my overall gpa.?

at your school no, on amcas, yes.

2) My overall GPA is 3.5ish and I haven't picked my major yet, I am still torn between B.S. in Biological & Life Sciences and B.S. in Biochemistry.

If I do Bio, only 3 required classes that I have left aside from P-med requirements are Genetics, Biochem and Microbio and I have time to play around with all the other classes like Physiology, Botany and stuff and have a lot of freedom and graduate (May 2004) whenever I want to. I could easily pull of a minor in ECON too.

I kinda wanna do biochem b/c I like Organic Chemistry, seems like it was a match made in heaven something I am acing through organic. If I do Biochem, it would take a lot of time since I might have to do a extra semester and graduate in Dec 2004. Plus I have to put in 6 more BioChem courses on top of Intro.BChem and I could only start taking them after I take Orgo II next Fall. I kind of want to do BioChem b/c it will help me in Med School if I want to compete for a better residency whatever. But I have to take Physical Chem and couple of other stupid chemistry classes.

So which one would be better,
    B.S. in Biological & Life Sciences with a minor in Economics with a 3.5-3.6 overall GPA..
    or,
    B.S. in Biochemistry with 3.3-3.4 overall GPA

Take the higher gpa por favor!

8. nap

nap Member 7+ Year Member

Feb 25, 2002
    Why do you think that a bs in biochem will help you in med school and help you to attain a better residency? That doesnt make much sense to me.

9. FLY

Oct 1, 2001
    Umd-College Park
    From somewhere, I have this Idea that Biochemistry deals with the chemical systems of the body, which is what diseases are usually all about.

So having a firm understanding of Biochemistry when going to med school will give you a definite advantage both in terms of getting in b/c it is a hard major and also b/c you have to take it while you are there and thus it will be a review for you and thus you will be doing much better than others etc...??