couple questions about starting USUHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jtriplet

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, I have a couple questions that hopefully people in the know can help me out with. Obviously, these are assuming an acceptance to start this year.

First, when do things get going? In regards OBC, classes, etc. Basically, when would I have to plan on moving out to the DC area, quit my current job, etc.?

Secondly, is there a possibility of postponing your start date for a year. Meaning, if one gets an accptance to start this fall, is it possible to say that you want to start the following year? Does anybody know of anyone who has done this in the past?

Any and all answers/suggestions to these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JOE

Members don't see this ad.

Joe,

Can't give you an exact start date, but for my class (of 2006), the Army people got orders for OBC starting 16 June. For those with late acceptances, they skipped OBC (to be made up later) and just showed up in Bethesda for an abbreviated version. You should get the exact info when you receive your acceptance, but you can plan for no sooner than early June.

As far as asking for a year delay, I would not count on it unless you had a damn good reason. I called and asked for one, and the lady in the admissions office immediately shot me down. Then I said it was because my unit was deploying to Afghanistan in early 2002, and it suddenly became OK <g>. (As it turned out, my unit didn't go, and I started on time anyway). She made it CLEAR to me on the phone that mine was about the only reason they would entertain for a deferred start.

Best of luck!

Rich,

Thanks for the info. That's kind of what I figured about the delay. Trust me, it's not that I want to wait an extra year, I'm just trying to answer some questions that were on my mind.

As far as OBC, assuming I get an acceptance in the next month or so, I could probably plan on mid-June?

How late do they hand out acceptances? I've heard that there is a lot of shuffleing that goes on late with this school, and I'm just curious as to what the latest anyone knows of someone getting the nod.

I appreciate the responses people. Keep them coming.

JOE

Members don't see this ad :)
That depends on if you have been accepted but waitlisted for your preferred branch or have not been accepted on any level yet. If you are wait-listed for the branch you want, you probably should not expect to hear anything until late April / mid May. If you have not been accepted on any level yet, then that acceptance can come at any time. Best of luck to you!

Yeah, I haven't heard anything one way or the other. I interviewed on Jan 27th and we were told that we wouldn't hear a thing until at least mid to end of april. I realize that I was probably interviewing for an alternate spot as it was and I'm OK with that. I'm just wondering what the latest anyone ever heard was. I mean, is it possible to get a call the day before classes start? Here's hoping that everything works out well. Thanks for well wishes.

JOE