Couples in Med School

smilingdawg

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm new to SDN and was wondering about couples going to med school together. My fiance and I are both trying to get into med school. Any tips or words of advice from someone who has done this? Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Apply to as many schools as you can. :)

and the same ones, preferably. :)

hey I have heard of someone who was able to transfer between med schools to move closer to their med student husband ( in fact same med school). Nottingham I think (thats the UK, I dunno much about stateside I'm afraid - YET).
soi maybe this counts as a special circumstance when trying to get into the same med school as your spouse..?

Members don't see this ad :)
My wife and I will be starting NYCOM this fall together. We were actually accepted to two of the same school, and we were blessed enough to have a choice. I would definitely recommend that you apply to as many schools as you can afford.

The majority of the schools seem to be couple friendly either accepting both or rejecting both, but there were a couple of schools who accepted one and not the other.

Oh also, a good point to know is that it is illegal (although we were each asked twice) for the admissions committee at a school to ask you "what would you do if one of you got in and not the other".

Good luck to you, and if you don't mind, I'm going to put in a small plug for Osteopathic medical schools. The schools that accepted one and not the other were MD.

PS- I see you are from New Orleans. We went to school at Xavier University in New Orleans, and my wife was born and raised there.

question - how do you go about bringing up that you and your significant other are both applying to a school? I would feel weird just coming out and saying it, but I think it is something important that they should know, especially if it could help us both get into the same school. In what context did you mention it, and when? Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Usually they know if both of you are interviewing (same last name, same address). For example, I remember calling a couple of schools to see if our applications were complete, and the secretary would say, "oh..you're the married couple." Stuff like that. Aside from that, during the interview, they are most likely going to ask you what your future career goals are. Make sure you mention your spouses practice along with yours. That way they know that they are dealing with a twosome. I hope this helps.