Couples Match- My interesting dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And to add I don't think its weird for twins who went to college and medical school together, to want to match in the same residency. It seems like a fairly legitimate thing to do, but if you guys honestly think its a bad idea and will decrease our shot at matching, then I'll steer clear of it.

I have twins...and I have a legitimate concern that they will be too dependent on one another. I purposely find different activities for them to do. I have known high achieving twins absolutely crumble when they are separated. If you are very dependent on your twin, which it appears that you are...it may be normal for you, but it may not be healthy...and I think that PDs would have a real healthy concern of it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, with one female and one male applicant with the same unusual last name, most people a going to assume you are married, rather than siblings. The name thing might throw that off a bit, but that'd be my first assumption.

Fraternal twins aren't necessarily male/female. Considering OP never countered anyone's concerns that people would know they were twins with "Well, I'm a girl," I think it's safe to assume they're both male.

Fraternal twins aren't necessarily male/female. Considering OP never countered anyone's concerns that people would know they were twins with "Well, I'm a girl," I think it's safe to assume they're both male.

Sorry, I think I got confused with some of the posters. Someone announced they were female, and I lost track of who said what as I kept reading :)

Honestly, with one female and one male applicant with the same unusual last name, most people a going to assume you are married, rather than siblings. The name thing might throw that off a bit, but that'd be my first assumption.
yet they are both males, so....though i guess one could still make that assumption...

Ha bingo. We are brothers.

I have twins...and I have a legitimate concern that they will be too dependent on one another. I purposely find different activities for them to do. I have known high achieving twins absolutely crumble when they are separated. If you are very dependent on your twin, which it appears that you are...it may be normal for you, but it may not be healthy...and I think that PDs would have a real healthy concern of it.

I can understand that dilemma. I think it would make residency less stressful to have him there with me, but we aren't the type of twins attached at the hip or the type to get stressed out easily. For example, we do all our studying alone, have different social circles, etc. I'm pretty sure we could function just fine apart. More like a 10 (from a scale of 1-10) if we are together and a 9 if we are apart.

As I mentioned before: Use the couple's match if you want. Don't announce it on your application, and don't mention it to any program. if the question of whether you want to be training in the same program as your twin comes up, your answer is that the quality of the program you go to is the most important thing, and you would be happily surprised if you both ended up in the same city.

Reactions: 3 users
As I mentioned before: Use the couple's match if you want. Don't announce it on your application, and don't mention it to any program. if the question of whether you want to be training in the same program as your twin comes up, your answer is that the quality of the program you go to is the most important thing, and you would be happily surprised if you both ended up in the same city.

This sounds like the way we'll go. Thanks for the advice!! I really do appreciate it!