couples match: pedo + ortho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tizom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy SDN,

Question about couples matching with orthodontics (my gf) and pediatrics (me)

Does ortho participate in the couples match program? I am aware they receive their match much earlier than the rest of the programs. How does this work if you are trying to match ?! Or does it simply not work at all?

As of right now my only options that I am aware of are ranking the program she gets accepted into as #1

Let me know if there is any other way! Appreciate it the help

Members don't see this ad.

The latter. God bless and probably count on being separated for two yrs. or wait two to three ueats.. Dagone.

The latter. God bless and probably count on being separated for two yrs. or wait two to three ueats.. Dagone.

thanks for the help :(

figured that was the case.. makes no sense!

Members don't see this ad :)
no - it makes no sense that ortho is one of the only programs that doesn't participate in the match program. and i'm sorry you don't agree with the fact that programs TRY to make peoples lives a little more pleasant.

no - it makes no sense that ortho is one of the only programs that doesn't participate in the match program. and i'm sorry you don't agree with the fact that programs TRY to make peoples lives a little more pleasant.
Ortho matches at a different time than pedo.

So besides the fact that ortho match is held a few months before then regular dental match, are you saying the regular dental match now does couples match? I thought "couples match" was a medical residency thing.

I hate to say it but the chances of you both matching at the same program are slim. Considering most ortho schools only have 4-5 spots, this is a tough feat. Not to say it can't be done though!! Just may be better to mentally prepare for the worst you know.

I hate to say it but the chances of you both matching at the same program are slim. Considering most ortho schools only have 4-5 spots, this is a tough feat. Not to say it can't be done though!! Just may be better to mentally prepare for the worst you know.

yeah, it's not going to be easy!

and yes, dental schools do the "couples match" and apparently ortho (and oral surg?) is the one program that I don't believe participates

thanks again:thumbup:

yeah, it's not going to be easy!

and yes, dental schools do the "couples match" and apparently ortho (and oral surg?) is the one program that I don't believe participates

thanks again:thumbup:

Hey, use this as motivation to prove it can be done. You got this!!

Ortho (and oral surgery) do participate in couples match, but only within their "phases." Ortho and dental anesthesia are part of "phase I" whereas pedo, OMFS, AEGD and GPR are "phase II" and their match occurs later. So it seems there would be no way to couples match between the two phases. Your best bet is to apply broadly, and by the time your match rank order list would be due you will have already known where your significant other matched so that you can adjust your rank list accordingly and hope for the best.

see http://www.natmatch.com/dentres/aboutdates.html for example of dates from this past match

Good luck, I personally know of 3 couples from my class who successfully couples matched, all in phase II though.