Couples Match Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anxiousnadd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend is 1 year ahead of me in school (she's a M3 and I'm a M2). We'd like to stay together but are wondering what our options are in terms of couples matching. Since she's one year ahead, that poses an obvious problem (how can you couples match if one person isn't in the match for that year). So, what I'm wondering is, does anyone have any suggestions or advice for us? Should she just try and match and then I can just take the risk of trying to match the next year in the same city or should she wait?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Couples match doesn't give you any advantage when matching compared with applying during separate years. It's just a computer algorithm that runs down your rank lists until two are close by. You should research further about what exactly couples match is.

Being separate years makes things simpler if you ask me. Just have her match somewhere with a lot of programs (i'm thinking New York or Chicago), then you apply to every program around there and rank those at the top of your list. Things should work out nicely and if they don't, well its easier to find dates in big cities like that isn't it. hahaha.

She could also do the one year rotating internship near your school and then you guys can try the couples match the year you graduate. Just something a buddy of mine in school has thought of doing as his wife is one year ahead of us.

She could also do the one year rotating internship near your school and then you guys can try the couples match the year you graduate. Just something a buddy of mine in school has thought of doing as his wife is one year ahead of us.

My fiancee and i are doing this right now. feel free to PM me if you have any questions