Couples matching and Ophtho?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

liverboy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have advice on couples matching and Ophtho?

Whatever specialty your spouse chose, what did you do to end up in the same city or program?

I know that there is not a Couples Match with the SF Match or AUA Match like there is for the NRMP, but I will be applying to match Ophthalmology and my fiance Urology.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Members don't see this ad.

that's tough when they are both early. if i recall the ophtho match results were released 2 weeks before urology but i'm not sure when urology needed their rank list in by. you may want to find that out. if your significant other can adjust their rank list based on where you matched for ophtho that would be the best case scenario. i'd recommend applying to cities that have multiple programs (nyc, etc) that way if you dont' match in your #1, there's still other programs that will allow you to match in the same place.

it's a tough situation when you're both applying to competitive specialties.

that's tough when they are both early. if i recall the ophtho match results were released 2 weeks before urology but i'm not sure when urology needed their rank list in by. you may want to find that out. if your significant other can adjust their rank list based on where you matched for ophtho that would be the best case scenario. i'd recommend applying to cities that have multiple programs (nyc, etc) that way if you dont' match in your #1, there's still other programs that will allow you to match in the same place.

it's a tough situation when you're both applying to competitive specialties.

Supposedly there's an under the table SF couples match. call the SF match admin offices and ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks 4424 and Pilot Doc for your responses.

Has anyone reading or that you know of matched Ophtho with a spouse before in the NRMP?

I couples matched into ophtho with another person in rays, PM if any specific questions...

there is no couples matching with NRMP and SF although there used to be

I think it's just going to be strategy and luck

all the advice so far is good. don't forget about the prelim year. my wife and i both got our number 1 choice for our main residecies then i matched at my number 2 prelim spot. going to a large city with multiple programs will help but stay on your toes.