Couples Matching - EM + just about every other specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OnlyOneZlatan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Spouse/Fiance(e)/Significant Other #1 - <10 EM interviews
Spouse/Fiance(e)/Significant Other #2 - 25-30 IM interviews

How are those that are couples matching or those who have couples matched going/went about letting EM programs about their situation? EM takes much longer than other specialties to send invites to their applicants, while IM has been sending invites since day one.

Is it too early to inform programs of interest/send love letters/call programs? I know ACEP just happened, but when we have had to schedule up to 3 interviews on a single date because we are limited to when we can go on interviews and with 30 invites, dates are about full. We still want to keep all programs open in case the one applying EM only hears from a few more. We currently only have 5 programs that overlap by program or city.

At this point, what else is there left to do?

Members don't see this ad.

Spouse/Fiance(e)/Significant Other #1 - <10 EM interviews
Spouse/Fiance(e)/Significant Other #2 - 25-30 IM interviews

How are those that are couples matching or those who have couples matched going/went about letting EM programs about their situation? EM takes much longer than other specialties to send invites to their applicants, while IM has been sending invites since day one.

Is it too early to inform programs of interest/send love letters/call programs? I know ACEP just happened, but when we have had to schedule up to 3 interviews on a single date because we are limited to when we can go on interviews and with 30 invites, dates are about full. We still want to keep all programs open in case the one applying EM only hears from a few more. We currently only have 5 programs that overlap by program or city.

At this point, what else is there left to do?
Contact the overlapping programs - site or city - and tell them you're couples matching, and will be in the city for SO on certain dates so was looking to try & schedule similar interview times.

If nothing else, may get you bumped towards the top of the waitlist.

Also have your SO talk with where she's already interviewing to see if *their* PC/PD can put a bug in the EM ear.

Keep in mind that a lot of interview requests from EM come out after ACEP, so you may not be in as big a pickle as you think.

-d

Semper Brunneis Pallium

Reactions: 1 user
Contact the overlapping programs - site or city - and tell them you're couples matching, and will be in the city for SO on certain dates so was looking to try & schedule similar interview times.

If nothing else, may get you bumped towards the top of the waitlist.

Also have your SO talk with where she's already interviewing to see if *their* PC/PD can put a bug in the EM ear.

Keep in mind that a lot of interview requests from EM come out after ACEP, so you may not be in as big a pickle as you think.

-d

Semper Brunneis Pallium

^^all this. As someone who couples matched with someone doing EM as well, I feel your pain. The couples match was incredibly stressful - far more so than if I was just doing the match by myself. I hated to not only have to worry about my own application and interview invites but worry about someone else's as well.

When it comes to putting together your combined rank list, remember to put down as many possibilities as you can. I think we had combinations that were at least 1.5 hours apart and we would try to live in the middle somewhere
(Which would have been the middle of nowhere).

If your SO has 25-30 IM interviews, they're going to match somewhere no problem. Hopefully he/she is flexible and willing to go wherever you match.

Our couples match was a cluster. I had PDs tell me on my interview day I was making a huge mistake doing it (WTF are you supposed to say to that? Ass hole), and I had other programs grant one of us an interview because they were interviewing the other one.

Good luck with this **** show over the next few months.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had PDs tell me on my interview day I was making a huge mistake doing it

Any context to this? Like, you were couples matching with someone who you started dating a month ago, in which case... I understand their comment. Or was this an out of the blue bolt of assholery?

Any context to this? Like, you were couples matching with someone who you started dating a month ago, in which case... I understand their comment. Or was this an out of the blue bolt of assholery?

Fiancée (dated several years), got married prior to residency starting.

I consider it out of the blue assholery.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm having a similar problem, OP. I'm going into peds and my boyfriend is going into EM have about 20 invites and he has around 8, I think and not all are overlapping. Peds is winding down their invites and EM is just in the middle of it. It's very frustrating, but send out emails ASAP! I have gotten one invite and a waitlist and my boyfriend has gotten an invite and a few waitlists (one of them was a reversal of a rejection) just from sending emails. The emails really work!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

My couples match partner and I are having the same issue.

Be careful calling. The professor who is advising us for couples match said to NOT talk to the program director where you got an interview to get an interview for your partner yet. That's after the interview and during ranking. If you try and push your possible future PD to talk to the other department for your partner, it could be considered overstepping.

Having your partner call her program where you got your interview is considered perfectly acceptable.

I'm pretty much in the opposite situation. I'm pretty much set for interviews, but GF is going into a specialty that invites really late (Novemberish) and she likely will have under 5 interviews. To add to the fun, it's supposedly frowned upon to have anyone but your home faculty contact other programs for anything. Did I mention that the only faculty member at our school for this specialty in vehemently opposed to couples matching?

I had PDs tell me on my interview day I was making a huge mistake doing it
My HOME PD told me this.

I'm pretty much in the opposite situation. I'm pretty much set for interviews, but GF is going into a specialty that invites really late (Novemberish) and she likely will have under 5 interviews. To add to the fun, it's supposedly frowned upon to have anyone but your home faculty contact other programs for anything. Did I mention that the only faculty member at our school for this specialty in vehemently opposed to couples matching?

My HOME PD told me this.
Mind telling us where so that I can kindly withdraw my application?

Reactions: 1 users
Mind telling us where so that I can kindly withdraw my application?
Eh he's not opposed to couples matching (I think one of our chiefs was a couples match), just my particular couples match... like everyone at my school haha. Luckily they all calm down (a bit) once we explain our plan.

Thanks for all the responses. I did send a few emails to places she was offered an interview and some neither of us had heard from yet. Most responses were generic "Thanks for the interest, we will fwd to the committee" but I did manage to make some progress with a few waitlists, 1 invite, but 2 denials.

I guess it is still too early to make a phone call. This AAE (After ACEP Era) can't arrive fast enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying to EM, and my fiancee is applying to peds. We both have competitive applications, but we have had great success in contacting places on the other person's behalf. We have each emailed 3-4 programs each after receiving an interview, and ~75% granted the other an interview shortly thereafter. I do not know what percentage of those we would have gotten anyways, but I am unaware of any way that it hurt us. What's more, if you reach out and they do not offer the other person an interview, that is also good information to have for both applicants.

Most of the program coordinators and directors we have contacted did not seem annoyed. In fact, most said they would happily reach out to the other program. If you think about it, it makes a lot of sense for them to do that. There is no sense interviewing one person in a couples match if the other person doesn't get an interview in the area.

In addition, our PD highly recommends reaching out to programs once one member of the couple gets an interview. His guidance was that it is entirely acceptable to ask for a status update on your application as both members of the couple will have to adjust their plans based on lining up areas and schools. He also said that was a good chance to update the program on any changes to your application, reasons you are interested in an area, and any specific connections you have to a program.

When you send these letters do you send them to the program coordinator or the program director. I have sent a couple to coordinators and barely any even responsed

When you send these letters do you send them to the program coordinator or the program director. I have sent a couple to coordinators and barely any even responsed
I was told it's poor form to send directly to a PD. The coordinator is probably the safer bet.

I was told it's poor form to send directly to a PD. The coordinator is probably the safer bet.

Personally we have only received generic responds from 95% of PCs so we started emailing PDs and the response has been much better. We still get some generic responses and some still ignore us, but we've each gotten an interview and a few waitlists from contacting PDs directly. IMO there's not much to lose at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Calling is better according to the (not EM) PD who is my attending on my current rotation. N=1, but I've made a call and it worked.

Calling is better according to the (not EM) PD who is my attending on my current rotation. N=1, but I've made a call and it worked.
Bro, your situation isn't exactly normal. Judging by the number of interviews you have. This is a deep cut Reddit reference creep post by me.

Props.

Bro, your situation isn't exactly normal. Judging by the number of interviews you have. This is a deep cut Reddit reference creep post by me.

Props.
Maybe, but I still think the advice of calling over emailing is solid.

How many interviews have y'all been advised to go on for couples match? I was told 20... My SO is IM

Bumping to see if anyone has experience with rank lists/matching as couples in this situation

Bumping to see if anyone has experience with rank lists/matching as couples in this situation

My wife (peds) and I (EM) couple's matched together 4 years ago. We were both very competitive for said fields. We each interviewed at ~20 programs (0verkill...but hindsight is 20/20) in a diverse geographic range. I matched at a 4-year program. She is moving onto fellowship after a chief residency year and I am moving on to attendinghood in community practice. My $0.02:

1) Be kind to each other. Making your rank list is stressful enough as an individual and now you have an SO to factor in too. Have a lot of discussions. Find out what's important to your SO. If there's a place that they will absolutely be miserable, send it to the bottom of the list without further questions asked.

2) It's all about location. There's so much regulation through the ACGME that pretty much every program is the same. For EM, Chicago will be more of a knife and gun club than say, Delaware. Believe me you will get the chest tubes you need to be proficient wherever you go. For Peds, some programs are lighter/heavier on ward/outpatient months. However, every program has the same base standards. Pick a location that has some of the stuff you like to do. I cannot overstate this - family is important. Residency is hard. Try to be within 3 hours driving distance of your family. I am grateful for being able to drive home for a long weekend when I have the time - this wouldn't be possible if I were on the other side of the country.

3) Make sure your training tracks line up. I trained at a 4 year program. My wife did 3 years of Peds and then Chief year. We lined up nicely. If you are at a 3 year program for EM, it's easy to add on a 1 year fellowship or a local attending year to match your SO. Non-EM specialties are harder to find shorter term things to be able to line up with their SO. For IM, at my place it's pretty easy for them to tack on a hospitalist year after graduation. Other specialties may vary. The last thing you want is your SO to be heading to a far away city for fellowship while you still have a year left. Long distance is doable, but it sucks.

4) Limit disconjugate ranking pairs. Again, long distance sucks. We ranked long distance pairs way at the bottom. There were even a few permutations that we refused to rank because the distance was just too great and we figured we'd rather not match and have to scramble/SOAP to the same city than be apart for 3-4 years (If I had to do anesthesia/radiology at a lesser ranked place that would have been fine). I know couples that purposely ranked pairings that put one person in city X and the other in city Y (maybe 2-3 hours away) because they just HAD to be at that certain program. Don't put your professional life above your family life. It's stupid.

5) RANK EVERY PROGRAM. Can't emphasize this enough. Just don't be that person that goes unmatched because they didn't rank their home program. I know people who did this and they didn't match. What a stupid decision. Do you want a job or not?

6) Prepare yourself for the possibility that you may be disappointed on match day. The match is complex. Couples' match even more so. Throw in prelim programs and now it just gets ridiculous. Your main goal is to end up in the same location - everything else is a bonus. I know a couple who matched into the same (semi-competitive) specialty in the same geography - one at a top place, the other at a not-so-top (but still very respectable) place. They were both competitive on paper (at least I think they were...who knows...talk is cheap). It was a huge disappointment for the "lower" match and I think this was a major contributor to the long term relationship's ultimate demise ~3 years later.

Good luck. Match Day was one of the most exciting days of my life and I will remember it forever.

There were even a few permutations that we refused to rank because the distance was just too great and we figured we'd rather not match and have to scramble/SOAP to the same city than be apart for 3-4 years (If I had to do anesthesia/radiology at a lesser ranked place that would have been fine).

5) RANK EVERY PROGRAM. Can't emphasize this enough. Just don't be that person that goes unmatched because they didn't rank their home program. I know people who did this and they didn't match. What a stupid decision. Do you want a job or not?
These seem like they are at odds with each other.