Couples matching Gen Surg

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnyle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Hoping for some insight. I am a US MS4 in the SW, currently getting an MPH/Surg research, hoping to couples match next year (2017). I have received different opinions from 2 different PDs and so I'm just looking for some additional suggestions here from this experienced community.

My application is weak. Step 1 in the low teens, Step 2 243, Pass in 3 clerkships, including Surgery and IM. Otherwise, mix of E's and H's; Honors in Surg sub-i (still have another sub-i scheduled this summer). 3 publications, maybe another 1 or 2 by the time I apply, few presentations, nothing special, should have pretty decent letters etc.
Planning on couples matching with husband (current US MS3), who is also interested in Gen Surg. He is more competitive than me (Step 1 ~230, mix of E's and H's so far).
I'll be happy to go to any program as I would like to practice straight Gen Surg when I'm done, and my husband probably would like to do a fellowship eventually. We obviously would like to match anywhere, but would prefer the New England/NYC/ Mid Atlantic area, or the NW.

Do you guys think we would have a realistic shot at this? I know I am the limiting factor here because of my poor grades and have heard opposite opinions from 2 PDs I talked to. Basically, just wondering if I need to start looking at other career plans. Any other advice?

Thank you very much, I appreciate your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

Hoping for some insight. I am a US MS4 in the SW, currently getting an MPH/Surg research, hoping to couples match next year (2017). I have received different opinions from 2 different PDs and so I'm just looking for some additional suggestions here from this experienced community.

My application is weak. Step 1 in the low teens, Step 2 243, Pass in 3 clerkships, including Surgery and IM. Otherwise, mix of E's and H's; Honors in Surg sub-i (still have another sub-i scheduled this summer). 3 publications, maybe another 1 or 2 by the time I apply, few presentations, nothing special, should have pretty decent letters etc.
Planning on couples matching with husband (current US MS3), who is also interested in Gen Surg. He is more competitive than me (Step 1 ~230, mix of E's and H's so far).
I'll be happy to go to any program as I would like to practice straight Gen Surg when I'm done, and my husband probably would like to do a fellowship eventually. We obviously would like to match anywhere, but would prefer the New England/NYC/ Mid Atlantic area, or the NW.

Do you guys think we would have a realistic shot at this? I know I am the limiting factor here because of my poor grades and have heard opposite opinions from 2 PDs I talked to. Basically, just wondering if I need to start looking at other career plans. Any other advice?

Thank you very much, I appreciate your help.

NRMP from 2015 puts 129 out of 160 people matching with step 1 from 210-220, 207 out of 217 for your step 2, 91 out of 114 for 3 pubs and 127 out of 153 for applicants with masters.

Objectively, your odds of matching are very good. I don't know why, but everyone in what seems to be like every specialty is perpetually talking about how their specialty is getting harder and harder to match into. Couples matching obviously makes it more difficult. The good new is that you're not overly geographically limited. Apply to programs in large cities where there are multiple programs or variable reputation to increase your chances.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Husband and wife surgeons is a tough road. Particularly if kids are part of the equation or will be. Are you both sure you have to be surgeons?

You'll match if you apply broadly.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Couples match shouldn't limit your ability to match if you rank all combos... If you each go on 12 interviews, there are 144 combos, and the problem couples get is if they only rank a few. You can also rank it that if one doesn't match the other can. I still think you should couples match

Husband and wife surgeons is a tough road. Particularly if kids are part of the equation or will be. Are you both sure you have to be surgeons?

You'll match if you apply broadly.
Any doctors road is tough. I'm a surgeon, the wife is a Gyn. Multiple of my coresidents are married to a doc, some with kids. You find a way if it's important.

Reactions: 1 user