Couples matching in Gen surg

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blood gas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys
My fiance and I are both applying for gen surg and going into the couples match. Our scores are similar. My Step 1 is 218, his is 215. He has several publications and i have none. both of us are high pass students. Also, I'm currently a PGY 1 prelim gen surg resident and my fiance is a MS4. I didn't match last yr since my match list was too short as I was trying to stay in the same city as my fiance. this year, geography is not an issue. So, what are our chances? Do we have a shot or what?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

hi guys
My fiance and I are both applying for gen surg and going into the couples match. Our scores are similar. My Step 1 is 218, his is 215. He has several publications and i have none. both of us are high pass students. Also, I'm currently a PGY 1 prelim gen surg resident and my fiance is a MS4. I didn't match last yr since my match list was too short as I was trying to stay in the same city as my fiance. this year, geography is not an issue. So, what are our chances? Do we have a shot or what?:confused:

Having already been through the match once, I would think you know more about your chances than an SDN forum filled mostly with med students.

I would look closely at all the reasons why you didn't match the first time....try to dig deeper than "my list was too short," and try to rectify any application deficiencies....also, be prepared to answer hard questions regarding this during your interviews.

I think you're at a slight disadvantage as a re-applying prelim, with the double whammy of needing to couples match, but you should be able to match if you work hard. If you go by the NRMP "Match outcomes," where you'd be lumped into the "other applicants" category, you have a little less than 50% chance, and your fiance has an 82% chance, based solely on Step 1 scores.....