Couples Matching - MD/DO Together - Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

browntown1209

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Recent lurker, but decided that my situation is pretty unique and I needed some advice.

So I took the COMLEX and only the COMLEX and got a 410. I had been averaging in the upper 400's on COMSAE B and D. Average student in the first 2 years, nothing spectacular. I'm interested in Peds and IM. Now where it all gets confusing is my fiance is in an allopathic school, a 3rd year as well. She took the USMLE and smoked it and got a 245. We would both love to couples match but now with this whole single accreditation process and I'm pretty sure there is no match for AOA and ACGME together yet. From the last thing I heard, the joint process is already beginning and by July 2015, there should be a combo. The main question is would it be better to apply to MD residencies together as a couple match or wait for this and risk the DO/MD thing to be figured out. We both are planning to do our away rotations at the same time, same city, just different programs 4th year. We'd hope that we can talk to the separate programs and inform them of our situation, but even then, I'm not sure if it's better for me to apply to low-tier MD residencies in Peds or IM and have her apply to MD residencies in IM in the same city and shoot for that.

I'm planning on killing my core rotations and Step 2, but just some advice on what to expect and how to go about 4th year would be great. Any information people have about this single-accreditation thing would also be great.

Yes, I realize this is a highly specialized, totally random situation, but any help on this topic would be amazing.

Members don't see this ad.

it seems like she will have close to her choice and you will have a very rough time...after a 410 it's a little presumptious to assume you nail step 2. Luckily you are aiming at less competitive fields, but your odds work better at assuming she has more flexibility to pick a place than you do

Hope you have a lot of money because you are going to send out a ton of applications. Also making your match list is going to take days.

Reactions: 1 user