Course affecting my GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I drop and take it some other time ?

• Yes

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

TheCrazyTrexGuy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there!
I am a freshman biology major, I have taken up Chemistry and Chemistry Lab courses as part of this year. Currently I have 15 credit hours for this first semester. I would like to drop the Chem1040L course as it is affecting my GPA ! I have a perfect A+ in every class except chemlab where i have a C +. Should I go ahead and drop it ?
I mean... I want a perfect GPA so yeah :)
If I drop the chem lab course, I will have 14 credit hours still ! Is that too low ?.
ALSO !! Do med schools require that you take chemistry and the corresponding lab courses during the same year ? or can we take it any time during the 4-5 years of pre med track ?

Members don't see this ad.

A perfect GPA will just get harder. Before you drop it, check to see that your school will allow you to take multiple labs, and if completion of the lab is required before moving on to the next sequence. At my school I had to pass both semesters of Chemistry to take Organic Chemistry, and I had to take both sequences of O-Chem to take Biochemistry. If you want to get your pre-reqs completed before end of Junior year to take the MCAT in time to avoid a gap year, then you might want to keep the class. Visit the TA, go to office hours and improve the C+. You are at midterms, can you pull it up to a B?

Reactions: 1 user
If you can get a B don't drop it. Perfect grades are entirely unnecessary for this process.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Both the above posters are correct. And if dropping involves getting a W, schools may assume that your grade was lower than it is when viewing your transcript. A perfect GPA is not a necessity, but learning to both accept a challenge and adapt as necessary are. View it as training for the path that only gets more treacherous as you take it.

You'll have at least 120 credits on your transcript when you graduate. A 1-credit lab is just a blip in your GPA, especially your freshman year. If you're passing, dropping is probably more trouble than it's worth.

You don't need a perfect GPA to get into medical school or even be competitive for the application process. I don't know how academically rigorous your school is, but I know at my undergrad, getting a 4.0 was unheard of.

You will be dropping a lot of classes ... Lol in the future

Hello there!
I am a freshman biology major, I have taken up Chemistry and Chemistry Lab courses as part of this year. Currently I have 15 credit hours for this first semester. I would like to drop the Chem1040L course as it is affecting my GPA ! I have a perfect A+ in every class except chemlab where i have a C +. Should I go ahead and drop it ?
I mean... I want a perfect GPA so yeah
:)
If I drop the chem lab course, I will have 14 credit hours still ! Is that too low ?.
ALSO !! Do med schools require that you take chemistry and the corresponding lab courses during the same year ? or can we take it any time during the 4-5 years of pre med track ?
I graduated undergrad with a 4.0 and deeply regret:

1) doing exactly what you are thinking of doing (except with 4 credit hours of Geometry [non-Euclidean geometry is a mindf***] in which I had a B, plus two other classes I took at a CC just for fun in the summer)
2) deciding against taking cool classes like Combinatorics even though I had time, just because it was another opportunity to lose the 4.0
3) stressing myself out damn near to the point of nervous breakdowns every time I was in danger of an A-. I'm not proud of my former insane preoccupation with GPA. It's so unnecessary to have a 4.0, and I could have had a lot more fun in college if I hadn't been so neurotic.

Don't make the same mistake I did. You're human. It's really fine.

Reactions: 1 users