Course at a community college or university?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstrong

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a recent graduate with a Bachelor's of Science. However, I need to take a second organic chemistry course in order to fulfill the prerequisite for many Osteopathic medical schools.

I am wondering would it matter whether I am taking this organic chemistry course (with lab) at a community college or a university? Do schools prefer courses done in a university?

Thanks!
Great appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

DO schools tend to be more forgiving of taking classes at a CC. If you were in university still I would definitely say take it there but I think you would be fine since you have already graduated. Get an A and I doubt anyone would care.

Reactions: 1 users
OMS II here.

I got into med school and I took Gen Chem 2, all my Anatomy and bio classes at a community college and not once in my interviews was I asked about them. To reiterate what kamakazi5 said get an A and they won't look to deeply into it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
DO schools tend to be more forgiving of taking classes at a CC. If you were in university still I would definitely say take it there but I think you would be fine since you have already graduated. Get an A and I doubt anyone would care.
OMS II here.

I got into med school and I took Gen Chem 2, all my Anatomy and bio classes at a community college and not once in my interviews was I asked about them. To reiterate what kamakazi5 said get an A and they won't look to deeply into it.

Thanks! Really appreciate the help!

DO schools won't care in general as long as you don't score poorly on MCAT, as that could bring into more question on the quality of your CC classes, but some MD programs very negatively view CC classes.

Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
DO schools won't care in general as long as you don't score poorly on MCAT, as that could bring into more question on the quality of your CC classes, but some MD programs very negatively view CC classes.

Good luck
Thank you for your help! @DrMikeP