Course Load and Undegraduate Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

13panda

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

So glad I found this forum, this is my first post.

Its time to register for classes again and I'm confused on what I should do. I've been hearing that I should do some undergraduate research to stay competitive and get some good experience. What are your thoughts on that. Also, Is it better to graduate early or to have a lighter course load? It possible for me to graduate in fall 2010, but since DPT school doesn't start until fall anyway, should I spread out my classes and graduate in spring???

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome! I've found this forum to be very helpful as I'm currently going through the application process :)

I wish I would've been able to do some undergraduate research with a professor, just for the experience, but unfortunately I didn't know I wanted to go to PT school until after I had my unrelated bachelor's degree.

However, right now I am helping out my anatomy professor with his research on rabbit teeth (Thrilling, right?) Not totally applicable to PT, but it was an experience that I didn't want to pass up, especially since he personally asked me if I'd like to help him.

As far as early graduation, I don't think that schools really care when you graduate. They just want to see that you graduated and that you have great grades. So, since most schools do not offer a Spring starting date, if it were me I would spread out the classes, have a lighter load and then work super hard in them to get the good grades.

Plus, with the lighter load you may be able to pick up some shadowing hours and/or some research! :)

I say definitely take up any opportunity to do research. I didn't do any research in my undergraduate, but my school emphasized the importance of research and I was even required to take a class on proper research methods/techniques, etc. for Exercise Science studies. I am currently assisting a Physical Therapist that I work with on a study that we are publishing in a PT journal at the beginning of next year, and I think that it's one of the main reasons that I have been offered interviews. My grades aren't outstanding, but I feel that getting published makes me stand out as an applicant

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!

Its time to register for classes again and I'm confused on what I should do. I've been hearing that I should do some undergraduate research to stay competitive and get some good experience. What are your thoughts on that. Also, Is it better to graduate early or to have a lighter course load? It possible for me to graduate in fall 2010, but since DPT school doesn't start until fall anyway, should I spread out my classes and graduate in spring???

Have you been applying for a spot in a program that starts in the fall of 2011?

Also, if you have student loans to pay back, you would have to start paying if you graduate in the fall....i think

Do some research as long as it doesn't interfere with your grades.

As far as graduating early....why? I wouldn't want to overload the semesters and take a chance on getting less than an "A" in a class. Since the school you want to attend doesn't start until Fall, I would just spread things out and enjoy myself.

Hi!

I would spread it out if it's not a financial burden to you/if you have loans you can postpone it that way. And plus, less burden makes it easier for you to get better grades.

You should do some undergrad research if you can. I went to a school known for research and since I was a bio major, everyone was competing to get into research no matter what it was on (the experience was a big thing). I was lucky and got into one for 2 yrs relating to obesity and diabetes in children and adults. I didn't get to do dissections and such but I was able to help out in papers, presentations, and lab assays. It's worth the experience!

Have you been applying for a spot in a program that starts in the fall of 2011?

Also, if you have student loans to pay back, you would have to start paying if you graduate in the fall....i think

I'm sorry I meant graduating 2012. Thankfully I wont have to take out any student loans for my undergrad!

I'm sorry I meant graduating 2012.

2012 WTF? LOL, spread those classes out lol, and you can still have the opportunity to graduate early. Some semesters I took three science courses together; not good as one of those classes I always came away with a C and got 2 Bs or a combination of A- and a B+, you get the drill. This is because I wanted to make sure I graduated "on time" intead of spreading them out.

2012 WTF? LOL, spread those classes out lol, and you can still have the opportunity to graduate early. Some semesters I took three science courses together; not good as one of those classes I always came away with a C and got 2 Bs or a combination of A- and a B+, you get the drill. This is because I wanted to make sure I graduated "on time" intead of spreading them out.

Im taking 3 science classes this semester...And thats how its gonna look like until i graduate!