course load and work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SaltyDoo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I want to get your thoughts on my situation right now. A lot of people that I talk to about course load and getting into dental school say you need atleast 15-18 credit hours per semester. That is fine and all, but I have a problem, I have to work atleast 25-30 hours a week so I don't think I could handle that course load while trying to get A's. I've been taking 12 credit hours and my GPA is 3.6 so I don't think I should overload myself and run the risk of ruining that GPA.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

It will take you FOREVER to graduate at 12 credits a semester. But if that's all you can handle, stop there. Are you sure you couldn't handle throwing in some of your easy, humanities courses or something though. 12 really isn't that many.

But yes, first and foremost is your grades. Course load is a VERY minor component of an admission decision.

at 12 a semester forever? naw, not if you add some summer courses. example

Year 1
12 - Fall
12 - Spring
6 - Summer
30 - Final Year 1

If you do this for 4 years, you will get 120 credits, the average number of credits for a degree. I know this cause this is exactly what I do. :cool:

You can graduate in 5 years :) taking 12 units at a time (you might have to do a few summer school sessions) I finished my first year of college during High School and took it really easy during undergrad (and worked crazy hours also) and took a ton of random classes just to see what I liked...and still finished in 4 years :)
A 3.6 and good DATs will get you interviews at most schools :) Good luck :)