1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Course load

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Pomfii, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Pomfii

Pomfii Some say I'm "Special"
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I am trying to decide which classes to sign up for this semester, and I'm having a bit of a problem. I'm not exactly the traditional student. It's taken me a while to decide what I wanted to do, so I took only my core classes, plus a bunch of electives my first 3 years. Now, I've finally decided on medical school, and I'm finishing up as a molecular bio major. The thing is, since I've already taken all my core classes, plus my lower level electives, all that I have left are science classes. For example, this semester I only have Calc. I, Ochem I, and Bio II to take. It's going to be this way until I finish, becuase of the pre-req's for the upper level classes. Should I choose a minor, or maybe a double major, just to fill in the gaps? I wasn't really intending on having either, but I know it's not going to look that great taking only 3 classes a semester.

What to do, what to do... :confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Zoom-Zoom

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you're far enough along on another major to finish it by "filling in the gaps" between your science classes, then I say go for it. This is what I am doing... Started as a psych major and will finish that along with a Neurosci major and all my med school pre-req's. Of course, this will take me 5 years but I needed to improve my GPA anyway.

4. Turkeyman

Turkeyman Trickster Poultry
    5+ Year Member

Minor wouldn't hurt, sounds like a good idea :). Pick something interesting!

5. IDforMe

IDforMe Not recovered...
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I figured out what I wanted to do late too, so I was in a somewhat similar situation. For my last year I basically took 3 science classes only (in addition to working, EC's etc.) and it hasn't hurt me... I have two schools to choose from already. I did manage to come away with a minor in both Physiology and Chemistry though, and I would suggest you look into getting a minor (in any subject, science or not). I think this shows adcoms that you have some specific interests as well just the more general interest of going into medicine.