Course Load...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmoosavi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys... I just wanted to know if any of you know whether or not med schools look at a students actual course load during a given semester when reviewing application.

This past semester I took 18 credits, including 3 lab sciences (Phys II, Orgo II, and Human Anatomy and Physiology II). In addition, I took an Honors class as part of the Honors program at my school. Needless to say, I had a pretty tough semester... but I actually did really well, I got A's or A-'s in all of my classes.

I guess what I'm asking is if med schools take not of how I challenged myself this semester, or if they simply just look at the overall GPA along with the BPCM GPA. Thanks in advance for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure they notice it to some extent if you tackle 3-4 major science classes in one quarter/semester. It actually can work to your advantage...what I mean is...plan strategically, take light/normal loads for most of your semesters (ie. 2 major classes) then add in the occassional heavy load to show that you can do it while not overexerting yourself for too long.

But seriously GPA matters more...spread it out if you can

Members don't see this ad :)
How does it look for me if this is my situation?

Physics I with lab - B
General biology with lab - C+/B-
Organic Chemistry with lab B

This is my first heavy schedule, and I am dealing with personal issues as well. Would this be one of those situations I could explain in the 'any other thing you would like us to know' part of the application?

I have A's in everything else up until now, and I don't know how adcoms will take this sudden decline...

1. Yeah, they like to see that when you take a heavier load you can sustain performance.

2. That isn't really that heavy of a semester. It's better than only two sciences per semester, ever, but it is far short of demonstrating that you can perform at a med school pace. Four heavy hitters is about the best you can do, and even that falls short.

3. Few if any students can take a load that "proves" they can handle the med school pace. So adcoms are taking a gamble on most everyone. Historically, they are pretty comfortable that you can adapt since those before you did.

4. In the end, don't screw your GPA just to prove your endurance. Most med students pad their undergrad schedules to the best of their abilities to maintain an artificially high GPA, so you're in good company if you do the same.

So i have taken 18 hours every semester, but now I am out of classes to take!, and am signed up for 13 hours, and will probably take 12-14 hours each semester now on out, does that look bad? Should I just take a bunch of ptless clases?

When I review applicants, I rarely notice this. I suppose if someone's GPA takes a significant hit one year I might add up the units but I usually don't bother.

I generally just note science GPA, nonscience GPA, total GPA, and sometimes look at trends by year.

I used to take 20 units a quarter so I know that it is more challenging, but to be honest it's not readily apparent on AMCAS and I don't want to do all this addition on each application when it rarely yields useful information.

Hey lord Jeebus, another unrelated question? How important is BCPM gpa, is it more important than overall, or are they relatively equal?