Course Overload? Biochem, Anatomy, Histology, & Cell Signaling at once

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StarsSunMoon3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just graduated with a biology major this year, and have decided to take extra courses to boost my gpa at local university nearby. I plan on taking histology (w/lab), biochemistry 1, human anatomy 1 (w/lab), and cell signaling in host pathogen interactions. This totals to 15 credits, but I know taking 4 upper level biology course will amount to way more studying than a typical 15 credit course load. For those who have taken these courses, do you think it's doable, or will I be committing academic suicide? I will be applying in the summer 2018 cycle, and need to get a 4.0 gpa this semester to prove to dental schools I can handle the course load.

Members don't see this ad.

whats your GPA now?

In this case, I think you're the only one who can answer the question!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What classes did you take in your most recent semester (class name+ amount of credits)? What did you get in those classes? And did you do anything outside of school (like a part time job or shadowing) that took up a lot of your time during that last semester, or will you be doing so this semester?

Hey everyone, I just graduated with a biology major this year, and have decided to take extra courses to boost my gpa at local university nearby. I plan on taking histology (w/lab), biochemistry 1, human anatomy 1 (w/lab), and cell signaling in host pathogen interactions. This totals to 15 credits, but I know taking 4 upper level biology course will amount to way more studying than a typical 15 credit course load. For those who have taken these courses, do you think it's doable, or will I be committing academic suicide? I will be applying in the summer 2018 cycle, and need to get a 4.0 gpa this semester to prove to dental schools I can handle the course load.

Given your current sgpa, I would be hesistant to recommend all those science courses as 2.9 is a little low, which may indicate deficiency in your science abilities. Are there any underwater basketweaving science classes that you can take to boost that gpa instead of those difficult sciences courses? If you crash and burn on those courses, I don't think you'll be able to recover easily.

Edit: I don't mean to be offensive with this post, but I'd rather take a look at it from a conservative, "get into dental school" approach. If you tank those courses, you might get stuck having to do post-bacc or masters, which can consume a lot of time and not guarantee admission to dental school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user