Course Prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tecumseh

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that many schools require Physics (with lab) 8 sem. hrs. I come from a school that separates lab and lecture courses and they have separate grades and you enroll for them independently. I've taken over 8 semester hours of physics total but only 1.3 (converted from quarter system) of which were from a lab. Does this meet that requirement? Almost all the schools don't differentiate between lecture and lab semester hours so I don't know if there is a minimum number of semester hours that is required for a lab.

Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

tecumseh said:
I've noticed that many schools require Physics (with lab) 8 sem. hrs. I come from a school that separates lab and lecture courses and they have separate grades and you enroll for them independently. I've taken over 8 semester hours of physics total but only 1.3 (converted from quarter system) of which were from a lab. Does this meet that requirement? Almost all the schools don't differentiate between lecture and lab semester hours so I don't know if there is a minimum number of semester hours that is required for a lab.

Thanks for any help.

I'm not sure what the real answer to your question is, but for comparison's sake, the 8 credit hours of physics that I took was split 6 lecture, 2 lab, which I presume is the norm. I'd just call the schools you're interested in and explain the situation.

I found that most schools are okay even if you don't have exactly matching prereqs. I mean, you can't have major discrepencies, but 7 credit hours vs 8 credit hours or other things like that, probably okay.