Medical Course taken before M1 - will this impact residency applications?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am beginning M1 this fall but I will also be taking a summer course in the grad school (Masters of Clinical Research). The course is an introduction to clinical research and I believe it will benefit me in the future. Plus, it's free. The course is at the same institution that my medical school is at. I asked, and they said that taking this course will be on my academic transcript. The course will be taken for a grade (no P/F option).

My question: will this course have any bearing when I apply to residency? Will they see it? I realize that this course is not something that they'd be "wow-ed" at, but it is graded and I wanted to take this for my interest above all else.

Thanks so much.
I can't see how PDs would care.

Members don't see this ad.

Why would the course affect your chances at residency? It won't be on your medical school transcript as this is a premedical course. Time to start thinking big picture here.

Program directors care about a few things:

Board scores, auditions, letters of rec, research, and down the line, clinical grades...and then lower than that....preclinical grades (which I think yours wouldn't even be preclinical, it would be premed since you took it before you started medical school).

Long story short, take the course, and stop worrying. You haven't even taken your first medical school quiz.

Status
Not open for further replies.