Courseload + 5th year question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orka

Have any questions? Ask me.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm Canadian applicant in my 4th year and will be applying to American medical schools for the first time next year. I have 2 quick questions:

1. I was wondering if American medical schools look down upon applicants who do a 5th year and will it hurt my chances of getting into an American Medical school?
2. Also, the following is my GPA and course loads for my undergrad:

1st year- 4.0 GPA (24 credits)
2nd year- 3.93 GPA (30 credits)
3rd year- 3.71 GPA (28 credits)
4th year- 3.88 GPA (? credits)

Right now (in my 4th year) i'm taking 27 credits (15 credits in Fall term + 12 credits Winter term) but i am considering dropping a course in my winter term since I know I will be doing poorly in it and will likely get a B or B+. More importantly I don't want to risk not having an upward trend in my 4th year...do you think it's in my best interest to drop the course (it's not a course I need, just a random upper year course I took)? How will American medical schools look upon taking 24 credits (8 courses in the academic year)? Thank-you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

my question is why would you take a course you know you wont do good in, especially when you dont need it?

as long as you have 12 cr (full time) you will be fine!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm Canadian applicant in my 4th year and will be applying to American medical schools for the first time next year. I have 2 quick questions:

1. I was wondering if American medical schools look down upon applicants who do a 5th year and will it hurt my chances of getting into an American Medical school?
2. Also, the following is my GPA and course loads for my undergrad:

1st year- 4.0 GPA (24 credits)
2nd year- 3.93 GPA (30 credits)
3rd year- 3.71 GPA (28 credits)
4th year- 3.88 GPA (? credits)

Right now (in my 4th year) i'm taking 27 credits (15 credits in Fall term + 12 credits Winter term) but i am considering dropping a course in my winter term since I know I will be doing poorly in it and will likely get a B or B+. More importantly I don't want to risk not having an upward trend in my 4th year...do you think it's in my best interest to drop the course (it's not a course I need, just a random upper year course I took)? How will American medical schools look upon taking 24 credits (8 courses in the academic year)? Thank-you for your time.

:eyebrow:

:confused: Yes you should withdraw because you might end up with a solid B. I don't think any adcom will be able to hand that.:rolleyes:

my question is why would you take a course you know you wont do good in, especially when you dont need it?

as long as you have 12 cr (full time) you will be fine!

Yea I didn't think the course would be this challenging but it became apparent that it is.
The only thing that worries me is the fact i'll have 3 courses (Human physiology, Sports Pshychology and Economics) in my last term in my 4th year.
But last term I had (exercise phys, human phys, molecular biology, statistics, research organization)....and I was able to get straight As and 1 B....But now I only have 3 courses which looks terrible :(

Are you graduating? At the second term of 4th year?

If you are I wouldn't worry about it at all. You did all your hard classes in the beginning and left the easy one so you can relax and maybe study for MCAT?

Are you graduating? At the second term of 4th year?

If you are I wouldn't worry about it at all. You did all your hard classes in the beginning and left the easy one so you can relax and maybe study for MCAT?

No I won't be graduating this year since I'm short a few courses from graduating. :(

No I won't be graduating this year since I'm short a few courses from graduating. :(
Well that's kind of what happens when you drop courses because you got a B.

To answer your question: that is not a downward trend, your gpa is very high.

No medical school cares how long it took you to apply. All they care about is what is on the app.