Courseload during MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HristosKaran

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering how your courseload looked for the semester you took or are taking the MCAT?? I think I'm going to make it easier on myself taking 14 hours, and nothing to extremely difficult. I have the possibility to take Biochem II and Calc II, which I don't really need, but would look good on the transcript. OR just take easier courses and study for the MCAT hardcore...Is anyone else in this position?

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be taking 19 hours so I planned on getting a lot of studying done over break. That plan, however, failed miserably. Oh well

I was just wondering how your courseload looked for the semester you took or are taking the MCAT?? I think I'm going to make it easier on myself taking 14 hours, and nothing to extremely difficult. I have the possibility to take Biochem II and Calc II, which I don't really need, but would look good on the transcript. OR just take easier courses and study for the MCAT hardcore...Is anyone else in this position?

I opted to not take biochem and just focus on studying.. I thought I might just overwhelm myself and get a C in biochem and not study enough for the mcat.

I'll be taking 19 hours so I planned on getting a lot of studying done over break. That plan, however, failed miserably. Oh well

Yay, you're in nearly the same position as me. I'm taking 16 hours plus ROTC so that's about the same work load. I hope it's possible to do well on the MCAT with so many hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay, you're in nearly the same position as me. I'm taking 16 hours plus ROTC so that's about the same work load. I hope it's possible to do well on the MCAT with so many hours.

ROTC on top of 16 hours? I commend you. Good luck with your studying, hopefully we'll come out of this one alive. I think the advantage to taking a heavy load and taking the mcat is that it shows medical schools that you can handle a rigorous academic schedule (contingent upon good performance on the mcat of course)

I'm only taking 13 hours in addition to my MCAT prep course for the April test. I am already ahead in my credits, so its not really hurting me for graduation. I weighed out the pros and cons, and I don't see this being any sort of red flag on my application. My MCAT course is 10 hours a week and I'm already a busy guy, so any more than 13 hours and I probably would have gone nuts. I didn't take any blow of courses, though, I am taking Physics and Analytical Chemistry along with some labs.